Reluctantly Obliging Matt Rinella

We used to have a program here in AZ. called adopt a ranch. We did lots of projects to keep gates open for access. Don't know whatever happened to it? It seemed like a good idea at the time. The whole idea was for sportsman to have access to public land through private in most cases.
It’s still around but I’m not sure how active it is

2531usmc

WKR
how is paying for a snowboarder to go hunting different than first lite/meat eater taking baseball players and country music singers out on hunts? I think matt's just upset that his brother bought the second or third best hunting clothing company, not the #1.
I personally prefer when they bring hot looking women hunting.
Don’t really care if they are wearing Sitka, Kuiu, or Stone Glacier

Griz37

FNG
Too many variables to say any specific distance is fair or not. There are bucks and bulls that live most of their lives in oak brush covered hills and thick timber mountainsides where there might only be a few small open areas to get a shot from an opposite hill further than 500y away. Stomping up in their territory is loud and futile. If I spend multiple days waiting for an opportunity that probably won’t even happen anyway, I’d call that pretty fair chase.

On another note since this thread started with Matt Rinella stuff. He seems to have lost all the steam behind the hunt quietly movement. I recently saw one of his YT videos was a few days old with less than 30 views. I agree with a lot of what he says but he talks like he’s been stuck in a cabin too long.
I agree he talks like he's been stuck in a cabin too long, lol. I think his main objective has moved from trying to make an impact on ridding hunting influencers / hunting TV, he still rails against them but he knows you cant put that toothpaste back in the tube. His focus now is his non-profit "Hunters for Access" and they are doing great work and its an organization any hunter that isn't a millionaire should support, and if you are a millionaire that supports it then even better!

Griz37

FNG
What about late season cow elk hunts when the elk are down low and up to their chest in snow. Is that hunting at that point?
Thats a fair point. I suppose I view late season shoulder hunts more as harvesting than hunting. There's no trophy aspect to it, it's purely conservation so giving the animal a chance goes against the objective. Circle them up and meet that quota as far as I'm concerned. The main focus should be a clean quick kill above all else

Griz37

FNG
For everyone who things there should be some restriction on what is ethical, what is fair chase, etc, etc who would you like to rely on to make the determination for you?
I don't think many, if any, people are calling for a restriction in any legal sense. Just from an ethics point of view. A self policing code. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Same as the "bull stuck in a fence" scenario. If you walked up to a bull with his rack stuck in a fence, some hunters would cut him free and let him live to be hunted another day, others would shoot him from 15 yards. Both scenarios are legal, but its up to the hunter to decide which is ethical