relocating AK --> CO

spdcrazy

Lil-Rokslider
looks like things are going to change for me. Time to try Colorado on for size so here is my situation and desires. help guide me into a place that might fit me best. give me thoughts on things maybe i haven't thought of. or tell me i'm crazy. i'll take all the advise and wisdom you fellows have.

i'm a 26yr old newly single guy. just recently got into the hiking and backpacking style of outdoors. I like fast cars and 4x4's. I am a trained Firefighter and soon EMT. I currently work as a Police/Fire/EMS 911 dispatcher tho desire a career firefighter position. I moved to a very rural (5k population) city in Alaska to gain experience as a volunteer. and i've just about out grown the city, my volunteer status, and there isn't room to grow in my police dispatcher job.

so... Colorado might be the answer. Bigger cities, more paid firefighter positions, still outdoors stuff and hunting/fishing to be had. I'm thinking Colorado Springs might be a good place. about 18% cheaper than Anchorage for cost of living. (figure is prob dulled down due to homer being more expensive than ANC.

Ideally I want to buy a piece of land with a smallish house 1000sq or so. cabin of sorts. I don't want neighbors to complain about my noise when i play movies loud or work on my vehicles at night. and of course I want to be stones throw from town and the vast wilderness. Long shot I know, but thats the dream..

Would Colorado Springs set me up fairly well or should i be looking somewhere else, and why?

Colorado varies from place to place. I would recomend coming out and taking a look around. Denver Metro is a decent sized area that will have work. Ft Collins and up north is a less popluated and has a good farming base. Down south is yet a bit diffrent. The western slope has a good split of work and outdoor activities. The only thing I would warn about the Springs, is the public safety sector has suffered for the past few years. Something strange down there it still offers some nice opportunites. Good luck with your move.

OP
spdcrazy

spdcrazy

Lil-Rokslider
Colorado varies from place to place. I would recomend coming out and taking a look around. Denver Metro is a decent sized area that will have work. Ft Collins and up north is a less popluated and has a good farming base. Down south is yet a bit diffrent. The western slope has a good split of work and outdoor activities. The only thing I would warn about the Springs, is the public safety sector has suffered for the past few years. Something strange down there it still offers some nice opportunites. Good luck with your move.

i have some family i'll squat with in littleton, but sadly i won't have enough time to take a visit until i'm there. house leases and time off with work and such. what do you mean by western slope? thanks for the thoughts camelcluch. other thoughts welcome as well!

really depends on what you can afford as far as places to live. I live in Lakewood (next door to Littleton) and i can tell you you wont find what your after around here, and if you do you will pay exponentially. I have found a few places to rent in the conifer/bailey area and the houses in those areas are pretty decently priced IMO. If your buying, give yourself plenty of time. My wife and i put 6 or 7 offers in before landing a place as everything was bidding up 8-10K+ over list price. Some only stay on the market for 24 hours if its a good deal. If i could do what i do for work in the mountains i would be looking in the silverthorne area. Big enough town but also plenty of land to play. Im not a native, i moved here 3 years ago, so take it for whats its worth. The guys who grew up here may have some better info for you. Anyway, good luck with your move!

6t4nova

WKR
Check out Grand Junction. Easier to get into the Fire/EMS field. Have a drag strip right on the edge of town, can take a 4x4 out into the fields and hills right on the outskirts of town, and best of all, Moab is only 1.5 hours away with all the 4x4 trails your heart desires :)

ScottP

WKR
Check out Grand Junction. Easier to get into the Fire/EMS field. Have a drag strip right on the edge of town, can take a 4x4 out into the fields and hills right on the outskirts of town, and best of all, Moab is only 1.5 hours away with all the 4x4 trails your heart desires :)

Grand Junction immediately came to mind based on the OP's description. Also may be worth looking at Durango? Both have easy access to great outdoor opportunities, and enough 'city' to support a career.

OP
spdcrazy

spdcrazy

Lil-Rokslider
now your talking my language. grand junction will have to be looked at closer. I think i remember cost of living being fairly high tho. however i think i'm about as high on that scale as possible up here in AK

I cannot stress enough how important it is to come for a visit first. Do what ever you have to do to come down here before you commit to moving here. I relocated to the Denver Metro area 8 mo ago, and two weeks into it I realize what a mistake I made. The Denver Metro is huge and expensive. Its bigger than Sacramento CA now. The traffic to go up to the mountains on the weekends is horrible, as well as your day to day traffic. That being said, I love the western slope of CO, and there is no where else I would rather be. The trick is to get at least 3 hours west of denver, and past all of the ski resorts. I love the areas between Glenwood springs, and Grand Junction. My wife and I have decided that after a short 8 months here, the I-25 corridor of CO is not where we want to be. I am going to start sending out resumes this week to Grand Junction and Salt Lake City. I actually realized that all of the areas in CO that I like would be closer if I lived in Salt Lake. I would prefer Grand Junction, but Salt Lake has a better job market. I actually really enjoyed Salt Lake when i lived there in 2007.

I just realized you question was about the Springs, not Denver. The Springs isn't as bad a Denver, it's actually where I live because I couldn't live in Denver. I commute about an hour and a half for work. However even the Springs is pretty busy. Like any city, it had nice areas, and not so nice areas. Hearing about shootings on the news can be a common occurrence. The nicer areas can be expensive, but not on the same scale as Denver. Woodland Park and Divide are awesome, and cheap, but the commute down the hill may get old, especially in the winter. Overall its not a bad place to be, just not quite what we are looking for.

LandYacht

WKR
Durango is expensive, Junction isn't really that bad.

If you are serious about Durango let me know, I'll get you contact info for the fire department. Durango has their own comm center as well. Montrose is the regional comm center for the state (basically the whole western slope for state government and contracted departments). Junction has their own comm center for local departments.

Any of the mountain towns are not where you want to be if you're thinking about finding a lady. The ratio isn't good to start with and then you have to be good with Sorels instead of heels 😉

OP
spdcrazy

spdcrazy

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. Denver area is in my scope as well. But I'd much rather be out further. It all will depend on jobs. Main goal is career firefighting... At landYacht, haha. Those camps might make a full circle after all! I haven't spent enough time looking at durante or grand junction. So that is a priority.

sakalmon

FNG
Dont do it. Look some more in Ak. I have lived my whole life in Co.except 4 years in the military . I am waiting for my kids to get out of school and I am heading to Ak. This state is 1/2 step from being the next California. The tree huggers took over years ago. If you want to be over taxed, smoke dope, be regulated to the max, or blow your buddy come on out.

I don't live in Colorado, but I will say that the Grand Junction and Montrose area is great! I'd love to end up living there once I quit my traveling job. It's not to populated, but big enough and both have a growing economy. Also close to great hunting and the outdoors. And the people are great as well!

Jpeaston

Lil-Rokslider
i'm a 26yr old newly single guy.

On a side note... Grand Junction is where all the small town western slope girls go and get knocked up.;) Lot of good looking women in GJ, and you are a half day drive from some great hunting/fishing possiblities.

I made an offer on a place in Grand Mesa couple years ago, the wife and I always thought we would retire in Colorado, now I think we are going to bypass Colofornia and head straight to Alaska. Our new favorite television show is Buying Alaska.

OP
spdcrazy

spdcrazy

Lil-Rokslider
Alaska is amazing But for what I'm wanting, I have outgrown my city. And I don't think if be happy with any other city than homer. Great place to retire as well. Or even to summer as most do

WKR
Montrose, Rifle, Craig, Glenwood Springs, Gunnison, Alamosa, Buena Vista, Grand Junction would all be on my radar screen. Palisades, a neighborhood of GJ, is where my gunsmith is. Nice town there too.