Aspens in SW CO Around October 1?

Crusader

WKR
Hey guys. Wife and I might be making a trip out to southwest Colorado around the first of October. Roughly around Gunnison down to San Juan NF. Will aspens in those areas still be holding their leaves? Scenery should be real pretty still?

Thanks in advance.

dlee56

WKR
Depends on elevation but there should leaves still. This photo was on Sept. 26 near central Colorado a couple years back, around 9800’, so Gunny/San Juan should still be good leaf peepin. Should be a great trip!

Attachments

• IMG_4952.jpeg
    IMG_4952.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 63
You can always check on their website before you go. Changes every year depending on moisture, sunlight, and temp. Sometimes a freeze can happen in mid September and the leaves go straight to brown and fall off. Northen NM is usually pretty dang good. Chama, Tres Piedra, Taos, Eagle Nest, Red River, Cimmarron. The Valle Vidal is incredible. Southern CO I like the drive from Dolores to Telluride better. You can also drive up the West Dolores and skirt the Lizard Head wilderness and come right out at Rico then drive to Telluride. If you have a jeep or SxS then drive from Sliverton to Lake City is pretty incredible as well. There are also a few roads to take from Rico over the mountain to Durango Mountain Resort (Purgatory ski area).

Marble

WKR
There will still be leaves, but they will have probably faded quite a bit. I've been hunting second season for 20+ years in CO. Leaves are always present until a large storm comes through with wind and freezing temps. Then they will be bare.

Elevation is 8500-10500.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

The leaves should still be good definitely starting to fall but plenty of the trees. Not just Aspen but Alder and Cottonwood and most of the wild roses and berry bushes will be full color. It should be a nice trip.

OP
Crusader

Crusader

WKR
You can always check on their website before you go. Changes every year depending on moisture, sunlight, and temp. Sometimes a freeze can happen in mid September and the leaves go straight to brown and fall off. Northen NM is usually pretty dang good. Chama, Tres Piedra, Taos, Eagle Nest, Red River, Cimmarron. The Valle Vidal is incredible. Southern CO I like the drive from Dolores to Telluride better. You can also drive up the West Dolores and skirt the Lizard Head wilderness and come right out at Rico then drive to Telluride. If you have a jeep or SxS then drive from Sliverton to Lake City is pretty incredible as well. There are also a few roads to take from Rico over the mountain to Durango Mountain Resort (Purgatory ski area).
Are the Silverton to Lake City and Rico to Durango doable with a stock 4Runner SR5?

Are the Silverton to Lake City and Rico to Durango doable with a stock 4Runner SR5?
Yes, they are. You can take a full size truck from Rico to Durango but not Silverton to Lake City. Your 4Runner should be fine for that one as long as you don’t take a really technical trail.

Phaseolus

WKR
The leaves should still be good definitely starting to fall but plenty of the trees. Not just Aspen but Alder and Cottonwood and most of the wild roses and berry bushes will be full color. It should be a nice trip.
Yes, they are. You can take a full size truck from Rico to Durango but not Silverton to Lake City. Your 4Runner should be fine for that one as long as you don’t take a really technical trail.
Cinnamon Pass between Silverton and Lake City is an easy drive for any vehicle with a little bit of ground clearance. It’s not technical.

This is awesome info. I was wanting to do this trip at the same time with my wife for the same reason, thanks!

Cinnamon Pass between Silverton and Lake City is an easy drive for any vehicle with a little bit of ground clearance. It’s not technical.
I’m sure you’re right. It’s been a long time since I’ve been up that way. Last time I drove it there was one part that made me pucker. Everything else was easy so I’m sure that part has been taken care of.

Phaseolus

WKR
I’m sure you’re right. It’s been a long time since I’ve been up that way. Last time I drove it there was one part that made me pucker. Everything else was easy so I’m sure that part has been taken care of.
I’ve ridden a mtn bike over it, an atv, various motorcycles, a 2 wheel drive 1978 Ford pickup, a VW Beetle, and most recently a Toyota 4Runner. It’s not as rough as it was in the 70’s and 80’s.

Made the Alpine Loop many times. 4X4 Road Runner will do it. Late June through late September should be no issues. A few touchy spots. A few spots are dangerous when having to pass other vehicles on a very tight trail between Animas Forks and Engineers Pass. Two to three really sharp rocky turns. You have to pay attention the whole way. No Texting!

If I picked a week it would be the last week of September.