Reloading for 25 WSSM

7wssm

FNG
Yes what are you looking for? Sweet little round that hammers medium sized game. Accubond 110’s smack em hard.

OP
Go West Old Man
Yes what are you looking for? Sweet little round that hammers medium sized game. Accubond 110’s smack em hard.
Good question. I have one of the original circa 2004’ish New Haven built stainless laminate Coyotes that I’ve had all these years. It’s a whitetail dropper for sure, and I always enjoyed shooting it. In 2010 it got pushed to the back of the safe, and now after years of just sitting there I want to start shooting it again. I have a sizable stash of Win. factory ammo including the 120 PP, 115 BST, and even one very rare box of 110 AB. It’s time to make use of most of it, shoot it for fun, & move on to reloading. Reloading intent is twofold. First, work up a range load for shooting it more often and to push the yardage to see what it can do. This will likely be 100 or 115 ballistic tips or similar, and second work up a 110 Accubond load for deer. However, I’ll say that “back in the day” I took quite a few deer here in GA with the 115 BST’s & they performed just fine. (I was a frequent & shameless head shot taker on does with this rifle. 😀).

Last edited:

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
Bumping this thread because I'm thinking about building one throated for 133 Bergers. Curious what kind of velocity it should produce out of a 22-24" tube, if anyone has any input.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
How does it compare to the 25 Creedmoor?
From what I can gather just a wee bit more case capacity and speed, not a real popular combo yet but cross referencing 6.5 wssm load data looks like it will be more in the high 40's-50gr of powder and 3100fps. Just browsing posted load data for the creedmoor looks pretty average about 42ish gr popular accuracy charge and velocities in the low to mid 2900 area on 24-26" tubes, which I could live with. I was thinking the advantage to the wssm building on a Tikka action the max COAL of being seated a calibers depth is well under 2.9", but after browsing some more threads on the 25 creed it looks like the reamer with the blackjack freebore puts a COAL under 2.9" at .020" off the lands and the 133 Berger is shorter than the blackjack. I'm a fan of jump so it looks like that might be the ticket.

Trying to evaluate if the juice is worth the squeeze and I want to run the ugly little unpopular combo, or jump on the bandwagon I guess. But jumping up to the 25PRC or SST gets you into the 60+gr powder for a couple hundred fps and that doesn't seem like an efficient trade off.