Reloading 6.5PRC Success!!

FLHunter87

Lil-Rokslider
I have an X Bolt Pro in 6.5PRC. I have a Leupold VX6HD 4-24x52 Firedot Duplex. I use Nosler Accubond Long Range 142g. I have 56.8g of H1000 behind it using Federal 210 primer. The right is a 3 shot group. Immediately shot a 4 shot group in the diamond. This is the best I have ever shot and no need to measure cause it's that good(my opinion). I know now my rifle can shoot when I actually try. I can easily get .4"-.5'' groups without trying. This is all at 100 yards.

Attachments

• 20240920_143552~2.jpg
    20240920_143552~2.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 17
I’m still trying to find the magical load myself. I built mine on an Aero Solus action. I’m working with the Barnes 127 LRX and Hornady 130 CX. I’m not gonna say I’m getting bad results but just not quite that magical load. I’ve been using H1000. Im about to run some with Retumbo but rarely have great results with compressed loads so we will see.

OP
FLHunter87

FLHunter87

Lil-Rokslider
I’m still trying to find the magical load myself. I built mine on an Aero Solus action. I’m working with the Barnes 127 LRX and Hornady 130 CX. I’m not gonna say I’m getting bad results but just not quite that magical load. I’ve been using H1000. Im about to run some with Retumbo but rarely have great results with compressed loads so we will see.
I wouldn't use Retumbo personally for those lighter bullets. I'm surprised H1000 isn't working great? How far down are you seating? The Barnes will definitely want at least a .050 jump from lands. I've loaded Barnes for another caliber and they were seated around the Nosler suggested COAL. Being honest all my handloads are actually really close to the Nosler COAL they use. Within .002+or- between what they list on their test cartridge on the load data. If you have 7828 or 4831 i would try that. I think a little faster powder would get where you need it if the H1000 isn't to your liking.

Yeah I don’t have high hopes for the Retumbo but curiosity is getting the better of me. I always start my loads at book length and play with it if I have to. I’ve always good luck either LRX in other cartridges by doing the same thing. They do tend to like a good jump. Can’t tell you the last time I saw 7828 and don’t have an 4831 on hand. Barnes shows load data for 100V and Gordon’s Reloading Tool shows promise with it so I may try that as well.

OP
FLHunter87

FLHunter87

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I don’t have high hopes for the Retumbo but curiosity is getting the better of me. I always start my loads at book length and play with it if I have to. I’ve always good luck either LRX in other cartridges by doing the same thing. They do tend to like a good jump. Can’t tell you the last time I saw 7828 and don’t have an 4831 on hand. Barnes shows load data for 100V and Gordon’s Reloading Tool shows promise with it so I may try that as well.
I have 1lb of 7828. Has to be 10 years old but only made around 15 rounds. So I have a lot left. Shoot maybe 565 may be good if you have that. Good luck though! Do you use a mandrel by any chance? I recently started that when I got my PRC last year. It has helped with accuracy as you can see with my groups. If you haven't thought about it, it's a great tool. You can message me if you like.