Reloading 22-250 brass depriming issue

Does anyone else have problems with the decapping stem/pin getting bent and then you can't deprime any more brass?

I have just started this project in this caliber and have already gone thru 3 stems 2 on the press and one in a hand deprimer!

What am I doing wrong here?
Tips and pointers are welcome.

Thank you

EdP

WKR
I can only think of two reasons for bending/breaking decapping pins. One is that the decapping/neck expander stem is adjusted too long. The other is that it is misaligned and hitting the case instead of the primer. Check your length adjustment and adjust to the minimum length that pushes out the primer. Make sure the stem is centered and the locking ring is tight so it stays centered. Also make sure your resizing die is staying tight in the press. When sizing, my right hand operates the press lever and my left hand makes sure the die stays tight for every case.

Fireflyfishing

Lil-Rokslider
Verify that you are using the correct shell holder. I picked one up the other day thinking I was using the correct one for my hand primer. It wasn’t which was the reason I was having trouble priming. The wrong shell holder would cause the case to be out of alignment far enough that you’d have problems.
This was my first thought too.

BigNate

WKR
A long while back I got a batch of brass that had off center flash holes. Was having the same issue. I sent pictures to the mfg. and later shipped them the brass for an exchange.

Haven't had any real issues since that wasn't due to my inattention to the die getting loose.

49ereric

WKR
I took Teflon tape to the decapping stem to eliminate slop and then eyeball the pin going in the shell holder before tightening down. Stopped bending pins after that.
Another possible is flash hole size but that is a long shot on being undersized.

OP
BossGobbler2024
I took Teflon tape to the decapping stem to eliminate slop and then eyeball the pin going in the shell holder before tightening down. Stopped bending pins after that.
Another possible is flash hole size but that is a long shot on being undersized.
All the responses have been good and I appreciate them. I use a co-axial press and don't have to worry about shell holders so not sure why alignment is so crappy. I am gonna try cleaning the brass first and then deprime as part of the sizing process, I havent had any issues with the size/deprime stem doing that. I just don't like putting all that carbon into my resizing dies.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Buy a Mighty Armory Decapping Die. They are bomb proof. I bought it for pesky 5.56 military cases. I once punched threw a burden primed case with this monster.

Fireflyfishing

Lil-Rokslider
All the responses have been good and I appreciate them. I use a co-axial press and don't have to worry about shell holders so not sure why alignment is so crappy. I am gonna try cleaning the brass first and then deprime as part of the sizing process, I havent had any issues with the size/deprime stem doing that. I just don't like putting all that carbon into my resizing dies.
What die are you using? I use an RCBS and have done 1000’s and 1000’s of cases with that die. I’ve never had the issue you are describing.

OP
BossGobbler2024
What die are you using? I use an RCBS and have done 1000’s and 1000’s of cases with that die. I’ve never had the issue you are describing.
RCBS decapping die on a Forster press, even tried it on my Hornady lock and load press with same results being careful raising the shell and holding the case, it doesn't always align

Last edited: