Reliable Two-Stage Triggers

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
My guns have trigger tech 2 stages. While they do feel great and are easy to adjust, I have had some issues. 100's of rounds in very dusty conditions caused it to consistently hang fire on two separate occasions. One of the times we were able to flush brake cleaner through it to get it working, the next time we just sent it back. A few people I shoot with have recommended the Bix N Andy because they are easier to clean. I am interested in the Geiselle that form recommends though, and will likely give it a shot someday.

Yes. People love to say “I’ve never seen an issue”, however the problems are real. More use in field conditions reveals it. The two best I’ve seen in dusty conditions that are “available” are the Geissele S700, and the TUBB T7t- though I haven’t seen nearly the amount of Tubb triggers. Also they do generally require some bottom metal mods.

OP
J
I've been wondering about the Tubb trigger. Thanks for the information.
From what I've heard it's a very good two-stage trigger but it will 100% require modification to your bottom metal to work and I didn't feel like having to go take my chassis in to get dremeled in the trigger area. Just got back from my first range trip with my Huber that had been sitting in a box for years. I shoot so much better with it. Even though I know it shouldn't matter that much, it does. It may not be a true two-stage but I love shooting with it. I may very well just get another Huber for my other gun if the Geiselle stays out of production.

4th_point

WKR
I hadn't heard about the compatibility issues with bottom metal. I have a mill but realize some may not want to dork with modifications.

Thanks for the information.

OP
J
Wonder how the Cadex dx2 stacks up?

Unsure on that one. There have been discussions about reliable two-stage triggers after this thread went dormant. Also Geissele says they're releasing a new version of the Super 700 trigger this year. Whether it's as good as the original, we'll have to see.

One of the ones Form linked was this one.

And here's a short thread about reliable two-stages as well.

I'm trying my luck with a Bix'n Andy Pro-X two stage with gator shoe on the new build I have arriving in a week. That's for a match rifle but I wanted to check that trigger out since apparently it's top tier for feel.

Igloo

FNG
Unsure on that one. There have been discussions about reliable two-stage triggers after this thread went dormant. Also Geissele says they're releasing a new version of the Super 700 trigger this year. Whether it's as good as the original, we'll have to see.

One of the ones Form linked was this one.

And here's a short thread about reliable two-stages as well.

I'm trying my luck with a Bix'n Andy Pro-X two stage with gator shoe on the new build I have arriving in a week. That's for a match rifle but I wanted to check that trigger out since apparently it's top tier for feel.

Thanks for the info and links!

The Cadex is tempting because its available domestically (Canada here) but the winning bets probably waiting to get my hands on a Geissele.

Good luck with the Bix'n Andy! Looks like a quality trigger

OP
J
Thanks for the info and links!

The Cadex is tempting because its available domestically (Canada here) but the winning bets probably waiting to get my hands on a Geissele.

Good luck with the Bix'n Andy! Looks like a quality trigger
BnA is basically the anti-TriggerTech. I've found I hate the lack of overtravel on TT triggers. I sold off my Diamond and kept the Special as a spare trigger to have around in case something goes wrong. Also the TT only had adjustability for first/second stage weights and nothing else. The BnA has adjustable first/second stage weights, first stage travel, top sear, and bottom sear for tuning it to your specific cocking piece. Plus an overtravel cushion and you can take it apart for cleaning whereas that would void the warranty on the TT. The gator shoe also feels amazing since I was never a fan of the TT pro-curve (I already have the trigger in hand, waiting on barreled action).

I don't profess that it's as reliable as a Geissele Super 700 given it's not even a true two-stage from what I can tell. The first stage is just spring tension, no movement of any sears. But my guess is it's going to be my favorite two-stage so far on a purely feel basis. Once again with the caveat that I absolutely am not saying PRS gear translates perfectly or even well to hunting, but BnA triggers are soaring in popularity in the PRS now so for my competition rifle I think it'll be great.

ultraedge

FNG
I have 3 Tubb T7T triggers on model 700 rifles. I had to cut the stock for clearance. No mods to bottom metal necessary. The triggers have good adjustments and have been very dependable for over 5 years.

SloppyJ

WKR
BnA is basically the anti-TriggerTech. I've found I hate the lack of overtravel on TT triggers. I sold off my Diamond and kept the Special as a spare trigger to have around in case something goes wrong. Also the TT only had adjustability for first/second stage weights and nothing else. The BnA has adjustable first/second stage weights, first stage travel, top sear, and bottom sear for tuning it to your specific cocking piece. Plus an overtravel cushion and you can take it apart for cleaning whereas that would void the warranty on the TT. The gator shoe also feels amazing since I was never a fan of the TT pro-curve (I already have the trigger in hand, waiting on barreled action).

I don't profess that it's as reliable as a Geissele Super 700 given it's not even a true two-stage from what I can tell. The first stage is just spring tension, no movement of any sears. But my guess is it's going to be my favorite two-stage so far on a purely feel basis. Once again with the caveat that I absolutely am not saying PRS gear translates perfectly or even well to hunting, but BnA triggers are soaring in popularity in the PRS now so for my competition rifle I think it'll be great.
I have two TT Specials. The only way I know how to describe them is "sterile". They break clean but something about them doesn't feel natural to me and I think it has to be the lack of overtravel. I'm shooting them okay and it's not a big enough annoyance to swap them out but I know what you're getting at.

I wish there were more options for left handed two stage triggers though.

OP
J
I have two TT Specials. The only way I know how to describe them is "sterile". They break clean but something about them doesn't feel natural to me and I think it has to be the lack of overtravel.
That's a great description of the feeling. There are also some arguments that a lack of overtravel can cause you to minutely shift the rifle during followthrough but unsure whether that's a tangible thing for non-benchrest guys. I doubt it's something any of us need to worry about.

You got me curious and it appears the BnA Pro-X two-stage does come in left handed. But as you said you're shooting your TT's well enough so no real reason to change.

SloppyJ

WKR
That's a great description of the feeling. There are also some arguments that a lack of overtravel can cause you to minutely shift the rifle during followthrough but unsure whether that's a tangible thing for non-benchrest guys. I doubt it's something any of us need to worry about.

You got me curious and it appears the BnA Pro-X two-stage does come in left handed. But as you said you're shooting your TT's well enough so no real reason to change.

Have you had any failures with the BNA triggers? I read a few horror stories and it steered me away from them. Stuff about cleaning them out with lighter fluid. That's the only reason I didn't try one.

OP
J
Have you had any failures with the BNA triggers? I read a few horror stories and it steered me away from them. Stuff about cleaning them out with lighter fluid. That's the only reason I didn't try one.
I haven't used mine yet outside of playing with it a bit. My LP Fuzion barreled action should be ready in the next week or so (I hope, will message builder soon) and it will get installed in that. And keep in mind that'll be a rifle used for PRS-style competition stuff. In the meantime I've been messing with it to get a feel for it by depressing the top sear by hand so I can dryfire the trigger. I can already tell from that alone that it's likely going to be my new favorite, the gator trigger shoe helps with feel as well. BnA Tacsports also require an extra step in set-up compared to TT triggers. You have to adjust the bottom sear screw for reliability and feel.

I think as far as the failures go, people tend to confuse BnA Competition triggers with the Tacsport triggers that are meant to be more field oriented. BnA apparently makes great benchrest triggers with extremely tight tolerances that are very intolerant of any dirt or debris. Kind of like Jewell triggers were known for. The BnA Tacsport lines are meant to be more rugged. But if you google for BnA trigger reliability most of the results will be posts about the competition models.

As far as my research into the Tacsport line (from looking around and talking to guys that use them) they're at least as reliable as TriggerTech triggers. And you can fully disassemble them to clean them (with 99.9% isopropyl alcohol I think) if you want to make absolutely sure. Something which you cannot do with the TriggerTechs without voiding the warranty. The whole lighter fluid to clean triggers thing is using the sort of fluid you'd get in a cigarette lighter (not like a campfire one) and that method is used for a bunch of different triggers. It really does work. But I think the 99.9% alcohol is better since it doesn't leave behind any lubricant when it evaporates.

I'll link the PRB survey of the top 200 PRS shooters below. BnA went from 14% popularity a few years ago to 40% now, and rising. Again, my BnA Pro-X is for a competition rifle. Since I don't even think it's a true two-stage, given the first stage is spring tension with no sear movement, true two-stage triggers such as a Geissele Super 700, CG Mod22, or Tubb T7T would probably be slightly more reliable in a hunting rifle in certain conditions. But would the BnA be as reliable as a TriggerTech, from what I've been able to learn yes.

You can check out the BnA section of this if you want.

Last edited:

SloppyJ

WKR
I'm a bit scared to try one because I think I'll like it over my TTs and selling left handed accessories isn't as easy as right handed stuff.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

The Bix N Andy Tacsport I have doesn’t like moisture and cold at all. It hasn’t been super resistant to sand and dirt either.

As JJ stated, probably about as reliable as a TT. One could see that as good or bad.

OP
J
The Bix N Andy Tacsport I have doesn’t like moisture and cold at all. It hasn’t been super resistant to sand and dirt either.

As JJ stated, probably about as reliable as a TT. One could see that as good or bad.
Does the Mod22 trigger have overtravel? I briefly had an AI AT with the competition trigger which I think is made by the same company but I can't for the life of me remember much about it.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Does the Mod22 trigger have overtravel? I briefly had an AI AT with the competition trigger which I think is made by the same company but I can't for the life of me remember much about it.

Yes it does/can.

The more shots are taken from non standard positions and under stress, the more over travel seems to help. I did not really care for it, until shooting as AI for a while and realizing that was on of the things that made the gun so consistent in shooting- trigger breaks and then a big fluffy pillow behind it.

4th_point

WKR
When I was using Timneys (single stage), I would set overtravel to the max. Opposite what many people have been led to believe, that you want a solid "wall".

I don't have any 2-stage TT, but the single-stage TT that I have is the least reliable for freezing compared to a Timney single-stage and several factory triggers. I suspect that it might be due to the fact that it traps water more than other designs.