Release agent testing

I was curious about an effective release agent for bedding my scope rail. And in the future for bedding my action.

Test:
Original JB weld a penny to wood or vinyl (LVP flooring)

Release agents tested:
-Black shoe cream
- Leather dressing
(Both similar to Johnson paste wax?)
- olive oil spray
-kiwi water repellant spray (had at home and curious)

Test results based on: (coming tmrw)

1. JB weld attachment to wood / vinyl
2. Smoothness of JB weld
3. Stain on wood/ vinyl (mainly for black)
4. Anything else to consider?

Hypothesis: (I have no idea)
Black, natural shoe leather, and olive oil will all be effective. Black will have some staining.

Attachments

• 20230316_194008.jpg
    20230316_194008.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 24

Rob5589

WKR
I used Kiwi neutral shoe polish and never had and sticking issues. Tried Pam cooking spray once, made a mess.

packer58

WKR
I'll second the Kiwi natural ........never any issues with epoxy bonding once applied and buffed.

OP
R
Thanks. My local store had a different brand of natural shoe polish so wanted to do an experiment.

Bedding the base and action on my 10/22 to get the rookie mistakes out of the way before my Tikkas.

Macintosh

WKR
aerosol release agent is fantastic for anything with little crevices that will be hard to get a paste into manually. Brownells, midway, etc should all carry it too. If you bed much it's worth it's weight in gold. A scope rail should be pretty simple and it may not make a huge difference there, but for any other use (especially release on screw threads that you dont want to become permanent) I greatly prefer it. Hornady one-shot also works very well as a substitute in a pinch.

jjjones7

FNG
Brownells spray release is my go to. It’s expensive but a can lasts forever. I wouldn’t waste time with anything else that “should work” the brownells stuff works as advertised every time. like the old saying goes an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Mag_7s

WKR
Brownells spray release is my go to. It’s expensive but a can lasts forever. I wouldn’t waste time with anything else that “should work” the brownells stuff works as advertised every time. like the old saying goes an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
That's what I use as well. Never an issue.

Attachments

• 20200201_161028.jpg
    20200201_161028.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 17