REI Gaiters

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Trail gaiters are great for keeping just debris out of my hiking shoes when I am planing on getting my feet wet (as I will be Thursday-Saturday with a 7 mile swamp slog and then packrafting). However, when hiking with boots and trying to keep my feet dry I prefer the taller gaiters to get a bit more freeboard for quick in and outs of streams well over my boot tops. I have both and trail gaiters certainly have their place.

OP
D

dotman

WKR
I think these are 18in version, they go past mid calf. Are they not very waterproof?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been using the Trail running Gaitors for years, but they are only 6" ones. Lasted a long time and do the job very well. I may break down and buy another pair this year as the velcro is starting to break down a little do to washing them.

a3dhunter

WKR
Had a friend give me some of the shorter ones and they were great, bought another pair and have been using them. They are a little tight on my calves though...

OP
D

dotman

WKR
Quality seems to be there, so how well do these really work for stream crossings? Since they are the 18in vesion should I be ok for a quick crossing and still have dry feet? I really would like to leave the water crossing garbage bags at home or taking boots off and don't want to get wiggies for CO.

thats what i use in western washington no matter what the weather is like. they are kinda loud but they sure do keep you dry and keeps the underbrush from snagging your pant every step. after the first trip without them my kuiu pants look liked a cat attacked the bottom from all the frays

they will work till the stream goes over the top when i took them off last week i think the bottom 1/2 inch of my pants where wet and i was in streams up to about 1/2" from the top of the gaitor