REI Co-Op Helix Insulated Air Sleeping Pad

NickStew

FNG
I’ve been using a cold klymit static V sleeping pad for the past 5 years and it was my introduction into inflating air sleeping pads, but as backpacking trips and backpacking hunts have been in colder weather it’s not cutting it anymore. With a low R-value, I need to get something more.

Just curious if anyone has used this REI Helix Insulated Air Sleeping Pad. I’ve read through the threads of guys recommending the thermarest or BA insulated pads, so I wasn’t sure how this REI pad compared to them. Thanks Rokslide community!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I own it and have used it once. I returned my nemo tensor after a few trips as I didnt think it was anything special besides packing down slightly smaller than comps. The Helix is what I went with and on sale for $70 is what I paid which seems to be appropriate for the quality which was on par or better in my opinion than the nemo tensor.

disclaimer: i haven't tried more than a few pads and they all seem the same once you get into the airpad category.

Jbogg

FNG
I just purchased the Helix on sale as well to have a backup for my Big Agnes Rapide. It’s not as thick as the Big Agnes, but the R value is supposedly a little better. I’m a side sleeper and weigh around 200lbs. When laying on my side with the pad fully inflated it felt like my hips were almost flush with the ground, but not quite. It is plenty comfortable, and a good value at the 50% off price of $70. I haven’t used it below 25 degrees, so the jury is still out.

Yeah REI gear is usually pretty good value.

You could buy one of those foam Nemo pads that fold up and throw it under the sleeping pad and then it can also be a cushion for glassing

OP
N

NickStew

FNG
I just purchased the Helix on sale as well to have a backup for my Big Agnes Rapide. It’s not as thick as the Big Agnes, but the R value is supposedly a little better. I’m a side sleeper and weigh around 200lbs. When laying on my side with the pad fully inflated it felt like my hips were almost flush with the ground, but not quite. It is plenty comfortable, and a good value at the 50% off price of $70. I haven’t used it below 25 degrees, so the jury is still out.

Good to know! I’m curious how it does in those colder temps.

OP
N

NickStew

FNG
I had an older version for a while. Closer to a 3.5 R-value I think. It was decent for above freezing temps. A few below 20 nights were a little chilly.

That’s helpful info! Those cold temps are what I’m really curious about. What are you using now?