Regular backpacking pack for backpack hunt

100%DIYazCOUES

Lil-Rokslider
Mines actually a baltoro 65… my bad. And just to be clear… I like the pack a lot. I’m sure there are packs thatre more comfortable with 100+ lbs in it…. But with 50-60 or less( which is 99% of the time) I’m not sure I’d choose a different pack if it was free…. The pack has still been pretty comfortable loaded at close to double its 55 lb rating! Now that I said that, something will probably give out this year after I shoot a buck 7 miles in…
If I was an elk guide, I might get something made to handle higher weight

I did it for 30 years and it sucked. I always had sore shoulders and chaffed areas where the belts would rub, dig in. I bought a Kifaru (not saying it's what you need) and I haven't had back or shoulder issues since. Carrying 100 pounds is never comfortable, but when I'm done, I'm not in pain.

I would suggest putting around 75 or 100 pounds in your pack and seeing how it does. If you are the type of person that can deal with some discomfort and agony for awhile, you might just try it out and see.

For me, the best things I have invested in for hunting are my pack, binos, and boots. For me, those can make or break a hunt.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
THIS. Testing out your pack ahead of time with a planned quarter will give you a great idea what a pack out will be. Don’t spend a ton of money until you know you’re going to do it again.

Khaosoi

FNG
I'm going to rock my old Gregory pack till the straps come off! I certainly do get the gear bug though and I like to have the most effective tools for the job... there's just too much stuff to spend your money on and not enough money to spend.

josiahv

FNG
Hey everyone,

Getting prepared for my first elk hunt(archery). Gonna be spike camp hunting my home unit in CO. Already spent a load of money this year getting all necessary gear. Only thing I haven’t gotten is a true hunting specific pack. I already have a Gregory Bartolo 75L that I really like for backpacking. Anyone have any experience using a normal backpacking bag for hunting? Do you think I need to buy a hunting specific pack for this season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have an older Gregory Baltoro 70 and have hauled out an elk quarter along with some gear with it over a mountain ridge (about 3 miles). It carried incredibly well. I hope to eventually upgrade to an Exo K4. One of the things that attracts me to the K4 is that the suspension system reminds me a lot of the Baltoro!

Woolsocks

FNG
What matters is having a rigid frame, the ability to tie meat tight to the pack (you do NOT want it to shift while you are walking) and the ability to put weight high over your center of gravity.

Get a rope and a sackful of heavy stuff and try it out with your pack.

I have been in the same boat here.

I have an upfitted GREEN tick ( alice pack) that my platoon was issued and allowed to use and I have an ILBE USMC framed pack.

both packs carried ALOT of weight and have alot of miles on them but both could work but both aren't light.

I bought a 75L mountain Hardware bag, and I wont be backpacking camping out of it, this year strictly, I did buy spare webbing and buckles from amazon.

I did this incase 1 need to fix anything and to strap in any meat tight to my back/frame if the less then ideal hunting frame decides its had enough. I would def. look into webbing and buckles. its cheap 20 dollar insurance

I will be going EXO next year I just don't see the demand for my hunts this year to need it, but ask me after my elk hunt if I get one.... I may change my tune.

100%DIYazCOUES

Lil-Rokslider
Alright I’m gonna eat some crow…
I bought an exo k4 for a smoking deal after commenting on this topic, and I’m honestly pretty blown away with it…. I really thought the baltoro was fairly comfortable with 100 lbs in it….until I loaded up the k4 and went for some hikes. Truly, a massive difference in how it carries the weight. The hip belt locks in and dosent slip down SO much better, allowing me to keep the weight where it belongs.The stiffer frame feels so much steadier under heavy load. The entire pack is clearly much more heavy duty without being much heavier at all. The adjustment options for fitment really made me able to get it to fit like a glove…. On and on….
So far I do like the layout of the baltoro bag better, but that could just be that I’m so used to it. If you do mostly day hunts with 30-40 lbs and the occasional short pack out, I still think the baltoro is pretty decent and has proven very capable for me. But for the guys carrying heavier loads, and going further, it’s night and day.
The only gripes I have with the k4 is the lumbar pad was way too firm for me at first, but it’s already starting to break in (exo is very open about this, and it’s already feeling better). Exo customer service has been absolutely spectacular, answering any questions I have almost immediately,both by phone and emai. Honestly, the best experience I’ve had with any Company of any kind.Also, it would really put this pack over the top if they included a hip pouch and/or the Nalgene holder with it. I still need to order those…
. I’ll see how it does on the couple 5-8 mile deep backpack hunts I have planned in the next couple months, but so far, I couldn’t be happier with my decision to bite the bullet and buy this pack.

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy helped pack my bull out last year with a Baltoro. I think a good thing to consider is the terrain you're hunting in. Once we hit flat trail he was fine, but the steep climbs that pack couldn't keep meat close to his back and was slipping off/pulling him over backwards. Also make sure the hipbelt has plenty of leeway to get it tighter than you normally do. You'll probably lose an inch or two off your waist and with 100+ pounds its going to want to slip.