Red Sand Safaris African Hunt

UM GM

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I don't exactly follow the high velocity, low recoil, small caliber approach......

My CRF M-70 in 416 Rem is an incredible cartridge for a buffalo/plains game hunt. I am shooting 400 grain Swift A-Frames at 2430 FPS and 400 grain Swift solids at 2380. (The solids were only for follow up shots on the buffalo). The reason for the different velocities is that is what it took for both bullets to have the same impact at 100 yds. The rifle has no brake, generates 55 ft lbs of recoil, and wears 1-6 x scope in UM Premier rings. I can hit an 8" gong at 300 yds with this rifle off shooting sticks, though it does need six minutes of elevation to get there. That is probably the max reasonable distance for this setup.

Upper left bullseye are the solids, the other two are the A-Frames--this target was from the bench during load dev. I put about 250 rounds through this rifle in prep for the hunt, which included load dev, shooting sticks, and offhand.

IMG_5092.jpeg
IMG_5428.jpeg

For the buffalo, the PH wanted a soft for the first shot then a magazine full of solids. The first and last shots on the buff were with A-Frames, the middle two were with solids. The absolute #1 priority is an extremely well placed first shot on any dangerous game animal.

The buff was dead with the first shot, but with an animal that can really mess you up to take nothing for granted. My first shot was well placed, even though the scope knocked my hat off when it recoiled. I was shooting directly into the sun and needed the bill of the hat low so I could see through the scope. Of course, when the hat came off the glare was very bad which made it hard to see.

The bull hunched up and bucked hard at the shot. The second shot was with a solid, as he was thrashing around, and hit his tail. The third shot was a well placed quartering away shot--again with a solid, but we think it stopped in the stomach. The final insurance shot, also well placed, was with another A-Frame.

We found both A-Frames against the hide. They are designed for animals such as this and their performance was exceptional.

IMG_5520.jpeg

The Eland will make both the SCI and Roland Ward books. He was bigger than the buffalo. The PH said to hit him in the point of the shoulder and I did. The big bull went about 10 yds and fell down.

The 400 grain A-Frame performed perfectly again. Straight through the heart and stopped on the hide.

Impala are the size of deer, and I was a little concerned about the bullet doing enough damage. That concern was unfounded. The shot was a Texas heart shot (in the butt) and dropped him. I did put one more shot into him to speed up his demise. Both bullets exited.

The buffalo went about 40 yds, the eland 10, and the impala went down on the spot. I don't think I'll be following the small caliber, low recoil, high velocity bandwagon anytime soon.......:cool:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Jake shot a jackal

492ce74967007bb41d78fcb6f0154b3b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
You guys may want to shoot 2 of each so at least your poor taxidermist has some options...

On another note, sweet trip-hunt. To think, I have relatives living there, and I haven't been there, yet.

rharbaugh

WKR
I don't exactly follow the high velocity, low recoil, small caliber approach......

My CRF M-70 in 416 Rem is an incredible cartridge for a buffalo/plains game hunt. I am shooting 400 grain Swift A-Frames at 2430 FPS and 400 grain Swift solids at 2380. (The solids were only for follow up shots on the buffalo). The reason for the different velocities is that is what it took for both bullets to have the same impact at 100 yds. The rifle has no brake, generates 55 ft lbs of recoil, and wears 1-6 x scope in UM Premier rings. I can hit an 8" gong at 300 yds with this rifle off shooting sticks, though it does need six minutes of elevation to get there. That is probably the max reasonable distance for this setup.

Upper left bullseye are the solids, the other two are the A-Frames--this target was from the bench during load dev. I put about 250 rounds through this rifle in prep for the hunt, which included load dev, shooting sticks, and offhand.

View attachment 758039
View attachment 758040

For the buffalo, the PH wanted a soft for the first shot then a magazine full of solids. The first and last shots on the buff were with A-Frames, the middle two were with solids. The absolute #1 priority is an extremely well placed first shot on any dangerous game animal.

The buff was dead with the first shot, but with an animal that can really mess you up to take nothing for granted. My first shot was well placed, even though the scope knocked my hat off when it recoiled. I was shooting directly into the sun and needed the bill of the hat low so I could see through the scope. Of course, when the hat came off the glare was very bad which made it hard to see.

The bull hunched up and bucked hard at the shot. The second shot was with a solid, as he was thrashing around, and hit his tail. The third shot was a well placed quartering away shot--again with a solid, but we think it stopped in the stomach. The final insurance shot, also well placed, was with another A-Frame.

We found both A-Frames against the hide. They are designed for animals such as this and their performance was exceptional.

View attachment 758038

The Eland will make both the SCI and Roland Ward books. He was bigger than the buffalo. The PH said to hit him in the point of the shoulder and I did. The big bull went about 10 yds and fell down.

The 400 grain A-Frame performed perfectly again. Straight through the heart and stopped on the hide.

Impala are the size of deer, and I was a little concerned about the bullet doing enough damage. That concern was unfounded. The shot was a Texas heart shot (in the butt) and dropped him. I did put one more shot into him to speed up his demise. Both bullets exited.

The buffalo went about 40 yds, the eland 10, and the impala went down on the spot. I don't think I'll be following the small caliber, low recoil, high velocity bandwagon anytime soon.......:cool:

Blaine - congrats on the awesome animals and for the write up. Out of curiosity, why the 416 Rem vs other large bores (375 h&h 404 Jeffrey etc?) not questioning your reason or performance, just looking to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UM GM

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Blaine - congrats on the awesome animals and for the write up. Out of curiosity, why the 416 Rem vs other large bores (375 h&h 404 Jeffrey etc?) not questioning your reason or performance, just looking to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 416 Rem hits noticeably harder on buffalo, vs a 375 H&H, though it does have more recoil. The 416 Rem also works very well in an M-70, and I like the M-70 better than the larger CZ 550 Safari actions or similar.

I didn't ever consider the 404, though it is an excellent cartridge. The 375 H&H and 375 Ruger are also excellent cartridges and 375s have killed a lot of buffalo.

I shot a blesbok at 150 yds with the 416 Rem and 400 SAF, my last animal, and it hammered him. I shot the buff, the eland, three impala, and the blesbok. All went down hard.