Red Dot mount for Win SX4?

5D4ACCA2-6DDE-4B6C-9CCC-C5FF3F8B9845.jpegWanting to run a red dot sight on Winchester SX4, bought the only rail I was sure would fit (Winchester branded) and put a Romeo 4 on it and just don’t like how high it is. It’s usable but would like something lower. Not opposed to using an open pistol type sight, pulled the Romeo off of something else just to try it. Is height the reason you see so many Burris Fastfire or similar on shotguns? Would attaching one to the current rail actually get the height down? Anyone know of a lower profile piece of picatinny that will fit the SX4?

OP
G
I think I found something from EGW we’ll see when it gets here. Thanks for the tape idea, it led me to find some removable sleeves you can put on to raise the comb. Don’t want to use tape because I won’t always use the dot on this gun.

slvrslngr

WKR
Raise the comb of the stock. Shotguns aren’t designed to run an optic so the comb is lower in order for you to get a proper sight picture down the rib. Some sheet foam and duct tape will get your eye up where it needs to be.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Something else to remember is that it doesn’t matter where your head/check or the red dot is. As long as the dot is on the target, you’ll hit it.

OP
G
This universal Rds mount from EGW worked out well. I have mild astigmatism but see the circle dot reticle clearly so went with the Holosun. A single dot shows up as a small blob for me.
FE2C754E-32F1-4705-9BA2-D6BBC4182CC2.jpeg

Kurts86

WKR
Scalarworks makes much lower aimpoint t2 and RMR mounts for Benelli and Mossberg shotguns. KE Arms did the same for a while for Beretta 1301/A400’s, Mossberg and Remington shotguns. They get these low by using receiver mounting screws behind and in front of the optic.

I have an EGW mount on my turkey gun and it’s better than a picatanny rail + adapter but it’s not particularly low profile since the receiver screws are under the sight mount and their attachment screws.

This universal Rds mount from EGW worked out well. I have mild astigmatism but see the circle dot reticle clearly so went with the Holosun. A single dot shows up as a small blob for me.
View attachment 391183
What universal radius on the EGW did you go with? The .468 radius sight mount or the .670 radius? I am asking as I need to purchase one. I need to get my Winchester SX4 drilled and tapped to mount this plate. Thanks

OP
G
What universal radius on the EGW did you go with? The .468 radius sight mount or the .670 radius? I am asking as I need to purchase one. I need to get my Winchester SX4 drilled and tapped to mount this plate. Thanks
.670 I filtered by gun model and there was an option for the SXP so I went with that. Mine was already drilled and tapped from the factory. You might be able to get it mounted lower with another option if you have to drill and tap anyway.

hobbes

WKR
That looks more streamlined but doesn't look much lower. It looks like you'd still need a higher comb to look level through the Holosun.

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
I just put a vortex venom on a sxp longbeard with a Sumtoy base. Called em up, they took info on my sight, gun model and gauge, and $50. Had it via UPS in a couple days. The radius on the base is a little tight, as you can see in the last picture, but pretty darn close. I need to pattern it this weekend, but it looks like my sight picture should be pretty good without doing anything with the stock. sumtoycustoms.com20230321_193239.jpg20230321_193420.jpg20230321_193327.jpg20230321_193429.jpg

bnsafe

WKR
anyone not drilling an tapping ur shotguns? I would love to have a site on my sx4 but dont want to drill it.

hobbes

WKR
anyone not drilling an tapping ur shotguns? I would love to have a site on my sx4 but dont want to drill it.
I use a saddle on two 870s. They are strictly turkey guns and I'd prefer drill and tap but the local guy that I talked to wouldn't do it, said there wasn't enough metal. I know better but don't want someone doing it that clearly doesn't want to. Drilling and tapping a shotgun isn't normal practice in Montana so he's likely never done it.

Sumtoy mount has served me well. I also see a lot of positive reviews on the meadow creek mounts that clamp on the vent ribs.