Recovery time before sheep hunt?

buckpro

FNG
What is everyone's opinion on how much to cut back on workouts, or stop working out completely in the week or two before a sheep hunt?

Been at it for a while but 4 weeks ago stopped any lower body heavy lifting and the last 4 weeks my workouts have looked like this, upping my pack weight by 10lbs then 15 or so.
Monday - 5 sets of 20, squats, lunges, weighted squats, weighted lunges - then 4 - 300 yard sprints
Tuesday - gym, chest and triceps, then 1+ hour with 48lb pack on stairclimber 150-200 flights of stairs
Wed - 5 mile ruck 65lbs pack
Thursday - gym, chest and triceps, then 1+ hour with 48lb pack on stairclimber 150-200 flights of stairs
Friday - 1000 18" box step ups with 43lb pack, ruck a 1/3 of a mile between the last 3 sets of 100
Sat - couple mile walk, no weight
Sun - 30lb ruck at normal walking pace

P Carter

WKR
The general advice for tapering, in the ultrarunning community, is a two- or three-week taper. First week, scale back workload (but not intensity) to 50% of normal; second week, scale back workload (but again, not intensity) to 25% of normal. If you want to do a third week, go to 10% of normal. Some permutation of that.

However, that's geared towards performance in one race. I think the general principle would be something like: scale back so you are not fatigued, and spend extra time on mobility/addressing any slight injuries or problem areas, but maintain some level of work so you don't feel "off" during race day.

None of this probably matters in any material way for a hunt - so long as you don't injure yourself during the two weeks before the hunt.

I have scaled back my pack training the last week or so to just walking/jogging the trails and hill by my house. I had been doing the hills every night with 50 pounds in my pack. I may throw the pack on one last time just to feel the weight but probably just do a couple miles with it. I leave the 20th and my hunt starts the 23rd. Good luck to everyone this year! I cant wait to start seeing all the pictures show up here.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
At two weeks out my rucking weight was cut back to what I started 8 weeks prior- ~ 35 lbs (I only ruck 2-3 times/week prior to season).

I kept up my daily hikes (4-6 miles) right up to the day before I left; Zone 2 stuff and in terrain where risk of injury was very low.

My strength training was cutoff at ~ two weeks out, only as a precaution for injury.

You definitely want to be injury free before heading out on a once in a lifetime hunt (at least for me it was a once in a lifetime hunt) :)

mtbraun

FNG
I wouldn't taper much at all. I do a very specific 12-day taper for hundos and it has worked well for me. And that's for an event that pretty much destroys your body. I can't imagine a sheep hunt is going to come close to comparing to that physical toll, and you will have recovery time built into your day (glassing, etc.). I did no taper for my moose hunt last fall, and while it's not a sheep hunt in terms of climbing, there was a lot of hiking through bog with a pack. All that said, you're still better off going in a little over rested.

OP
B

buckpro

FNG
Appreciate the input. I am going to finish out with a huge day a week before and then tapper back by atleast 50%. I tore a hip flexor and meniscus on this hunt last time so trying to avoid any injury at all cost.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
Just shift to doing true zone 2 workouts a week or two before go day that way your head and body are still benefitting from working out but you are not taxing your body and in fact you will be fully recovered and ready to hit it hard when it’s time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk