Recommendations for Tent and Sleeping Bags

Hey guys I’m going on my first archery elk hunt in Colorado Sep 23-29 at about 9,000 feet. It will be me and one other guy. We are trying to figure out what tent and sleeping bags we should bring. We will be camping about 3 miles from the truck.

I think we want a 3 person tent so we have room for gear and aren’t too crowded. I don’t know if we need a 3 season or 4 season then? Any recommendations on tents that aren’t going to break the bank at $500+?

As for sleeping bags should we be getting 0 degrees then? Recommend an inflatable or foldable pad? Any sleeping bags you guys particularly recommend that isn’t going to break the bank as well?

Also plan on bringing a tarp shelter with us in case we end up on elk in the evening and few miles out can throw it up and sleep under it…

First elk hunt so having to compile gear and obviously want to get decent stuff but not trying to buy top of the line all at once.

Let me know ! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDVortex

WKR
For the tent

I own this, hoping of trying it out thus month. I've set it up and you'll have tons of room. Sleeping bag, id go a higher temp rating, around a 20 degree bag. Save money and weight. If you get to cold, put on clothes that you've already packed in, and put more money into a quailty pad. Maybe not buy WM or a FF bag, but even REI bags would work. Especially since this is your first trip like this, and you may just hate this style of hunting.

Pad id suggest a Thermal-rest neoair pad, it'll help with your sleep comfort more then a colder bag will.

With this gear, only thing id upgrade eventually depending on the brand of bag you'd get, is the sleeping bag.

Inflatable pad, tested r-value 5 or higher
Bring a 2 man tent each, the one about is a good choice, as are the lightweight Nemo options
A down bag or quilt rated for 20 degrees comfort, not survival, that fits your body size and sleeping style.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
Durston X-Mid 1 …$250ish
bc684180b91427ebeec1c6ed3e4e3b67.jpg

I would recommend this for both your tent and tarp.

BBob

WKR
3 season tent at most and no way you need a 0* bag for Sept. Nice semi-thick inflatable Thermarest or similar. Should not need to be more than 1lb for your pad. I do a tarp, a 30* quilt with a Thermarest NeoAir XTherm for Sept.

NickyD

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t know the 3 person tent options but I love big Agnes as mentioned above.

Definitely bring an inflatable pad. I have one from big Agnes that’s a bit on the heavy side but it’s far and away the most comfortable backpacking pad I’ve ever used. Getting good sleep at night is super important.

I like a 0 bag all summer and September here in Colorado as I like to be plenty warm. Though I would recommend at least a 20 bag

zacattack

WKR
Hey guys I’m going on my first archery elk hunt in Colorado Sep 23-29 at about 9,000 feet. It will be me and one other guy. We are trying to figure out what tent and sleeping bags we should bring. We will be camping about 3 miles from the truck.

I think we want a 3 person tent so we have room for gear and aren’t too crowded. I don’t know if we need a 3 season or 4 season then? Any recommendations on tents that aren’t going to break the bank at $500+?

As for sleeping bags should we be getting 0 degrees then? Recommend an inflatable or foldable pad? Any sleeping bags you guys particularly recommend that isn’t going to break the bank as well?

Also plan on bringing a tarp shelter with us in case we end up on elk in the evening and few miles out can throw it up and sleep under it…

First elk hunt so having to compile gear and obviously want to get decent stuff but not trying to buy top of the line all at once.

Let me know ! Thanks!

Buy once cry once. I would look in the classified and on Facebook groups for a used western mountaineering or feathered friends sleeping bag. You’ll save some money and those are top of the line.

As far as sleeping in the same tent…how good of friends are you? I’d definitely have each person with their own tent.

t_carlson

WKR
15-20 degree bag

Thermarest X-Lite pad

3-person, 3-season tent

That combo will work for a majority of hunts, even into Oct/Nov. You can always wear more clothes in the bag for colder temps, which is actually how I prefer to do it.

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
For the tent

I own this, hoping of trying it out thus month. I've set it up and you'll have tons of room. Sleeping bag, id go a higher temp rating, around a 20 degree bag. Save money and weight. If you get to cold, put on clothes that you've already packed in, and put more money into a quailty pad. Maybe not buy WM or a FF bag, but even REI bags would work. Especially since this is your first trip like this, and you may just hate this style of hunting.

Pad id suggest a Thermal-rest neoair pad, it'll help with your sleep comfort more then a colder bag will.

With this gear, only thing id upgrade eventually depending on the brand of bag you'd get, is the sleeping bag.
+1 on this option and a great 30% off sale now. Last year I was happy to pay $412 without the footprint tarp and now it is $370. A steal.

Although I have the UL2. not UL3

OP if you can manage your pack weight…I’m always more of a fan of having individual smaller tents rather than bunking together. especially for a long stinky elk hunt. Looks like other weighed in similarly. Consider if y'all need two tents, and find a deal. and buy a 2p tent for one person to use, great size to hold some gear as opposed to a 1p model.

Last edited:

TxAgHntr

FNG
On the bag and pad I think it comes down to what’s gonna make the hunt for you…if you know being warm and “comfortable” vs miserable is a deal for you…I’d get a 0 bag and a good pad.

199p

Lil-Rokslider
Get a quit over a bag man, i have been running a enlightened equipment one was out in 1 degree C on the weekend and was cooking on my xthurm so nice to be able to stick a leg out and cool off even in winter time :)

Bass pro / cabelas is my first suggestion. Still works fantastic after 200+ nights camping. I’m comfortable down to about 45 degrees in it. I’ve slept in it at 30 degrees before but it wasn’t comfortable at all. I also have a kelty 0 degree.

First think what your coldest nighttime temp will be and then choose a bag rated for about 10-20 degrees colder than that. Bigger bags are comfier but not as warm. A bass pro 10-30 degree rectangle bag is a great starting bag that’ll last 30 years.

Snowhunter11

Lil-Rokslider
I use a SG 15 Chilkoot for colder weather hunts and layer clothing accordingly. If that wasn’t in my budget and I was looking for cheap but not to die I would look at the Marmot trestles 15 synthetic.

The pad is where I would try not to skimp.. thermorest nxt lite is what I would buy if money was no object. If on a budget the klymit insulated does the job.

As for tents- that can go many ways. If it’s going to snow or be cold I am currently using a kuiu storm and I like it. For a budget option that won’t let you down an alps Tasmanian 4 season will work well.

That’s my 2c hopefully it helps you out!

September is gonna be pretty warm this year I believe. If u haven’t bought the gear already, I’d go with a 3 season tent and around 20 degree bag. Insulated pad but usually snow is lacking in the eastern mountains at this time where I hunt so my r value isnt too high.

At least a 3 man tent and preferably a 4 man if you want actual space and gear for 2 guys. Most would advise each of you bringing a 2 man tent. (Space, smell, snoring, etc).

At least a 20* bag. I prefer an overstuffed 15* down or a 0* when I’m hunting late Sept in CO around 11-12k feet.

Make sure you have a good insulated pad because your bag won’t be as warm if you’ve got an under rated temp pad. (I use an Xtherm after almost freezing to death with a Big Agnes Insulated pad).