Recommendations for Drop Camp provider in Idaho 2020 or 2021.

Mrwigelow

FNG
I am in the early stages of planning for an Elk hunt in Idaho. I am wanting to do the backcountry hunt I have dreamed of! I currently hunt Muzzleloader Elk in Washington State from a large camp. Looking to broaden my horizons with a backcountry drop camp. I hope to be able to spike out from there. Any thoughts?

btplass

Lil-Rokslider
Good for you. Idaho is a beautiful state. Did my first out of state hunt there last year. You'll have a great time. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Don't fall into the backcountry trap of the hunt you have dreamed of, where there are no animals left to hunt. Those backcountry hunts in Idaho can be brutal. Gorgeous country, but tough to get on critters. If you want to hunt bears and wolves you'll be fine. Everyone has a different definition of backcountry... what is yours?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Mrwigelow

Mrwigelow

FNG
My idea of back country is where road access is non existent. I am hoping for some great hiking, and hopefully getting on some Elk. The idea of horse backing into camp, and then spiking our from there really intrigued me.

What weapon?

The problem with drop camps is they're often in poor locations if an outfitter also has guided clients. The guided clients will get the best spots, say A through G. The drop camps get the rest and if a drop camp starts producing then an outfitter makes that a guided camp. Many outfitters consistently pound the drop camp areas as well. You would need to really do your homework.

Be aware that the central Idaho baloith signicantly limits animal density, in addition to wolf predation, and stunts antler growth.

OP
Mrwigelow

Mrwigelow

FNG
I am looking to hunt Modern firearm. I really appreciate the info you all have provided so far! Would I be better off looking to a different State for this hunt? I love the planning (day dreaming) aspect that inherently starts these adventures.

What is it you're really looking to get out of the hunt? How important is solitude versus animal numbers versus trophy quality?

OP
Mrwigelow

Mrwigelow

FNG
I would love to be somewhere that the chance of running into someone else is remote. As far as critters go, I would love to at least see some. Success for me would be a nice freezer full of Elk. Trophy bull is not a huge concern for me. I have a small house with low ceilings, a big mount would look funny attached to the wall just off the floor. I am a big fan of “Meat Eater”. Steve Rinella’s hunts are what I would hope to imitate.

I think you have some options for Idaho. I'd stay out of the central wilderness with the low animal densities. Anywhere else could be a good hunt depending on the specific outfitter drop camp hunting setup. Check out Juniper Mountain, Korrell, Elk Springs, Big Timber. I'd be grilling the outfitters on how many hunters they bring in there, typical success rates, and why it's not a cast-off of their main guided area.