Recoil Pads

bbrown

WKR
I was looking at either the Limbsaver or Pachmayer recoil pads - do these actually help that much? Any reason to go with one brand over the other?

I love my Weatherby Vanguard .300 win mag but its just not fun to shoot or practice with much. Recoil is not an issue in the field and I like the caliber and the results just looking to make it more enjoyable at the range. The rifle already has a rubber recoil pad but it feels pretty stiff.

The other problem I keep running into is no one makes a pre fit pad for this rifle. How hard is it to "grind to fit" with good results? The other option is a slip on pad but I am not wild about how that will look.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
They do help. I have installed Pachmayers with success. Grind to fit isn't too hard, but if you are concerned, many gunsmiths will do it for a very reasonable fee. Ground pads look much better than pre-fit, IMO.

If it is just shooting from the bench giving you trouble, Lead Sleds can tame just about anything. For years, I have used one for load development and zeroing, and have never had any trouble, but some people have reported them causing scopes to fail due to the rifle not "giving" during recoil.

T43

Lil-Rokslider
I put a limbsaver on a light weight 300 WSM and it made a noticable improvement. I'm saving up to have a compensator installed before its ready for my daughter.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I put a limb saver on my rem700 in 30/06 and it was a noticeable difference to me. I used a flap disc on a 4 " grinder to fit it to the stock.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I marked it ground test fit and repeated so I could keep the grinds straight and not get crazy and scuff the stock