Recent Military Surplus Purchases

Ovahbored

FNG
I have to admit I largely gave up on military surplus as my experiences had been less than stellar. A few weeks ago I purchased a pair of USGI Outdoor Research Mutant Mitts. I got them without the liners for a steal and just love them. Feel very durable and a great shell for a variety of liners.
Based off of this experience I went to a local army local store and bought a surplus grid fleece for 20$. It is a quarter zip with thumb loops and so far has been great. I also bought a pair of wool trigger glove liners for a whole $4 and no complaints there. May have to buy a few more items, especially from the ECWS series.

Last edited:
I have the grid fleece top and bottoms and really like them. I have been wanting them gloves but haven’t found them in my size yet. I also have a fleece jacket that is really good to. When it’s windy and wet and we’re setting up camp I wear the level 5 soft shell system and I don’t have to worry about ruining my expensive hunting stuff. Of course that’s truck camping. If I was packing In I’m not sure Whatsername bring.

I have a couple of the sleep shirts (grid fleece) that I was issued and they are the best piece of gear I have. A fleece shirt and a descent vest was all I needed this year in Montana with temps in the mid 20s. I'd put on a puffy when we glassed but took off while moving because the fleece was so warm. received_269002674017473.jpeg

grey12345

FNG
I have to admit I largely gave up on military surplus as my experiences had been less than stellar. A few weeks ago I purchased a pair of USGI Outdoor Research Mutant Mitts. I got them without the liners for a steal and just love them. Feel very durable and a great shell for a variety of liners.
Based off of this experience I went to a local army local store and bought a surplus grid fleece for 20$. It is a quarter zip with thumb loops and so far has been great. I also bought a pair of wool trigger glove liners for a whole $4 and no complaints there. May have to buy a few more items, especially from the ECWS series.
Outdoor Research makes some of the best military gear out there. Will keep an eye out at my local surplus stores.

13HELD

FNG
Outdoor Research makes some of the best military gear out there. Will keep an eye out at my local surplus stores.
I know this post is from last year....but I just picked up a pair of OR Mutant Mitts from Sportsman's Guide