Reccomendations for a versatile and lightweight spotting scope

Fedster

FNG
I assume you start at dawn and move it from there, so you get more light as thing go, which helps. On that kind of terrain (Monterenzio) a few years ago I was spotting a female red deer + her fawn at about 1450 metres away at dusk, with the 80mm swaro on a tripod and that was not a super clear ID because of the light -- I kind of knew it was a red deer, but they are not at all common there and the image was not good enough to overcome my surprise and put the thing to rest (also I measured the distance after so I could not get a good feel for the actual size of the animal). Had it been a stag, no way I could have looked at the antlers and made a decision to cull or not. Which basically means, if the light is bad, forget about it, even on a tripod, if you have a light scope. Roes, with their small antlers would be hard to tell males and females apart at a distance if the image is not super crisp.

Fedster

FNG
If you want to consider a collapsible scope go for the Meopta, not the CTC or others (I have an Optolith, which is nice but really slow to focus).

OP
ssimo

ssimo

Lil-Rokslider
If you want to consider a collapsible scope go for the Meopta, not the CTC or others (I have an Optolith, which is nice but really slow to focus).
Why do you think the meopta is better?

Beendare

WKR
I find more critters… and faster with high power binos.
FWIW, I own or have owned Swaro, Zeiss, Leica, nikon stuff

I would get the vortex razor UHD 18’s

Last edited: