rear shooting bag

huntsd

WKR
what bags do you run in the field? Looking for ideas for something lightweight

TxLite

WKR
Not sure what weight you’re trying to hit but I’ve used a wiebad mini fortune cookie with success. It’s probably not considered “lightweight” as far as bags go but it’s not too bad. I think if I was trying to go ultra light and was set on using a rear bag I’d get a sock, fill it with airsoft bb’s, and sew it shut.

Wapiti151

WKR
I love this bag, https://armageddongear.com/product/pint-sized-game-changer/

waxed canvas, indestructible in my experience and the "git-light" fill allows me to not think twice about packing it (just north of 1 lb). It's not cheap, but buy once cry once. I also have their "OG" bag with the git-light fill but that one is just used for paper.

They also have the squishy rear bag that is a little smaller (I think) and cheaper, but it is heavier. I like the versatility of the game changer

gtriple

WKR
I went thru this exercise myself trying to convince myself that running a rear bag "isn't that much extra weight". When, in reality, there's so many other options that work almost as well and you are already carrying them...

Your game bags, puffer jacket, extra clothes, sitting pad, backpack lid, etc... any of these items either balled up or stuffed into a small sack will do 95% of what carrying a dedicated shooting bag will do.

rclouse79

WKR
I was listening to the Hunt Backcountry podcast and they shared the idea of using your gamebags as your rear shooting rest. I haven't had the chance to try it out yet, but I moved them to be accessible during rifle season.

Lawnboi

WKR
Pint sized or schmedium with git lite is what I prefer but not because it’s an awesome rear bag. Works as well for a front bag as a rear.

I prefer to shoot off natural objects or prone if at all possible. I have used the pint sized git lite as both a front and a rear for the last few years on every shot iv made.

It gets strapped to the outside of my pack for quick access. I’m not pulling crap out of my pack to finagle into a rest.

Last edited:

Dennis

WKR
An idea to consider,

Not a rear bag but a light weight rear rifle support. I have been using the Extreme Rear Support System from Rugged Ridge Outdoors for several years. It is not a bag, but a scissored four position rear shooting rest. Weights only 4.4 oz and is carried along with Spartan bipod on belt. Not as stable as a good rear bag, but works well enough for a light weight setup in the field.

Kurts86

WKR
I’ve found the Short action precision lightweight bag is the lightest rear bag I can use and shoot well. I have a Wiebad squeeze bag that’s lighter but it doesn’t improve my shooting enough to justify its weight.

I carry the long range only mini hunters wedge. Tried and messed with a few. You don’t want too light or squishy of a rear rest or your shots will go high. I’ve also used my bino harness, puffy, game bags in a pinch but the ranges were less than 500 yards in those situations. Really depends on the level of precision you need

Chad E

WKR
I've been using the Phoenix shooting bags rear bag with good success in the field. I use the strap it comes with to clip it to a compression strap on the outside of the pack so that it's quickly accessible.

I use a stuff sack pillow from hyperlite mountain gear, stuffed with my puffy or other extra clothes.

The soft side of the stuff sack is a little luxury to help me sleep plus it's super light with multiple uses.

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
I have made my own, tried different fills, bought a LRO hunters wedge, and they all resulted in high misses for me unless I put a good amount of pressure on the bag.
The most stable make-shift rear support I have found has been putting my glassing pad on a rock. Will there always be the right sized rocks around? No. But it was a fun experiment and it worked well.
If I am backpacking in I won't take a rear bag. I find something I already have with me to put under there like my pack (or a rock.)