realistic expectations for western NE goats

4IDARCHER

WKR
I am heading out again in a week and a half for NE archery antelope opener. I will be hunting on good ground but this is my second archery hunt out there. I may have set my bar a bit high last time and was hoping those that hunt in western NE can give me an idea on what size of buck is a good representative of the species for that country. I do like the mass I have seen on many NE goats and realize they usually have mass not height which can hurt score. For those that hunt there any pics you can post up?

Bulldawg

WKR
I wouldn't say that having mass and not length hurts the score.. I killed a 14" goat last year that scored 81.. I would say any goat over 65" within archery range would be a dead goat for me. But if you really want to hold out this year will be a good year for growth because of all the moisture we have seen quite a few very nice antelope running around and I wouldn't doubt it if a few booners were shot this year.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
uploadfromtaptalk1439145494235.jpg Not from Nebraska but good mass and great cutters can best height and stubby diggers every time. He went upper 70s.

Bulldawg

WKR
For me if I was hunting with s bow I would say a 65" antelope is what I would shoot for. 12" long decent cutters and ok mass that would be good enough. I will say I've seen a couple that could hit the Boone and Crockett this year but one that is 14+ with big 6-8 cutters and big bases would put you in the upper 70's and I would consider that a great goat.

I haven't seen any real tall antelope in the 16-17" range but I know of guys that have killed them before I moved out here. I also know of a guy that shot one that nobody thought was that great cause he wasn't tall but he taped out at 90".

But after a few days of trying to spot and stalk these things I will fling an arrow at any buck taller than the ears and within marginal distance lol

OP
4IDARCHER

4IDARCHER

WKR
From what the outfitter told us there is a lot of tall grass in that area of NE this year because of early rains. He also said he wasn't seeing as many goats, which is never something you want to hear. Hopefully there is at least a couple hanging around!