Read any good books lately?

mntnguide

WKR
That book is going for $150+. Is it worth it?
...Dang..its a hell of a great book and account of an amazing trip...but i dont think id pay 150 to read it..haha. A few other of my longtime favorite reads...Pinnell and Talifson: Last of the Great Brown Bear Men (about the first outfitters on Kodiak island and some of the true giants they guided and stories about the beginning of hunting the giants of Kodiak); In terms of Fiction; my all time favorite book is called Brules by Harry Combs (Hard to explain in short...but its an amazing book that i couldnt put down..its a hair under 700 pages and ive read it 3 times through the years...based in the late 1800s and he goes on an indian killing rampage after losing everything, but it is a pretty cool true account of the old west as well.) ...also, Any of C.J. Box's books, especially the Joe Pickett series

after the book and movie The Revenant came out, I dug out my old copy of "Lord Grizzly" .Just another great portrayal of the Hugh Glass story.
for a superb(not Rocky Mountain) hunting book check out "Man-Eaters of Kumaon" by the legendary Jim Corbett.
About his many years protecting Indian villagers from man eating tigers . The Corbett wilderness area in India now carries his name

Last edited:
It's hard to beat any book written from Gary Paulson. Even far north written by Hobbs is really good!

If your wanting to read a book that will humble you, I highly recommend the Humans of New York: stories is very very very good!

hunter4life

Lil-Rokslider
Most of these are historical about New Mexico and the southwest in the early 1900's. They are all very good books.

Meet Mr. Grizzly by Montague Stevens
The Ben Lilly Legend
When The Dogs Bark Treed by E.S. Barker
Anything by Frank Hibben, He is the guy who had the foresight to bring Oryx and Persian Ibex into New Mexico.

PARA1

FNG
Hunter.. By J.A Hunter he was a game officer in Tanzania a truly amazing book

Koromjo Bell ... Amazing read

Ozbourne Russel. Very good

AZGUY

Lil-Rokslider
"They Call Me Hunter"--A series of short stories from a guide named Hunter Wells who was famous for killing giant bucks on the AZ Strip from the 1960s and 70s.

Johnboy

WKR
Did any of you guys get into Jim Kjelgaard's books when you were a kid? When I was in grade school and middle school, I just couldn't get enough. Most of his stories are outdoor adventures about a man and his dog. I'll be introducing my nephew to Big Red and Wild Trek in a few years. Great stuff for young people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Kjelgaard

Jimbob

WKR
I read Big Red when I was kid, great book.

Here are some more that came to mind

"Man-eaters of Tsavo and other East African Adventures" https://archive.org/details/maneatersoftsavo00pattiala

"Death in the Long Grass" https://books.google.ca/books/about/Death_in_the_Long_Grass.html?id=yCXQNj5NN20C&redir_esc=y

"Temple Tiger and more Man-Eaters of Kumaon" https://archive.org/details/TheTempleTigerAndMoreMan-eatersOfKumaon1954
(anything by Corbett is good)

Those authors lived pretty remarkable lives so their stories are awesome.

justin262

FNG
These are all Alaskan books. Alaska's wolf man is probably my favorite.
Alaska's Wolf Man
Alaska's no.1 guide: The history and journals of Andrew Berg
Shadows of the Koyokuk
On the Edge of Nowhere
One man's wilderness

mtcarter

FNG
Maybe not exactly what you were looking for, but these are some good ones as well.
The Wilderness of the Upper Yukon by Charles Sheldon (If you can get past ethical issues)
The Old Man and the Boy by Robert Ruark (Not so much about big game)
Big Two-Hearted River by Ernest Hemingway (Short story with fishing)
The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber by Ernest Hemingway (Set in Africa)
Sailing Alone Around the World by Joshua Slocum (First solo sail around the world. Great story despite me not knowing a thing about sailing.)
Anything by Jon Krakauer for survival (or lack thereof) stuff.

Just finished "Hunting the Jackal" and "The Devils Guard". Both REAL good reads if you enjoy reading military style books .

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Code Name Jonny Walker is a great read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk