Razor Gen 1 vs Gen 3

I have a vortex razor hd 16-48x65 Gen 1 spotting scope. I'm wanting to know is there much of a difference between the gen 1 and the newer generation spotters?

I've been wondering the same. All the gen 1 options have been on sale for cheap recently.

nobody

WKR
Newer ones are better. From my experience, the older Razor's that places like Sportsman's are selling for +/- $800 are optically comparable to the modern Viper HD spotter.

That said, if I was buying a vortex spotter today on a budget, and I had about $800-$1k, I would be buying that Razor instead of the Viper. Even if they're optically identical, the upside to buying vortex is the warranty. If that Gen 1 Razor breaks, they send you a new gen Razor, which currently retails for like $1800. The $800 investment goes further when the time to warranty comes.

Newer ones are better. From my experience, the older Razor's that places like Sportsman's are selling for +/- $800 are optically comparable to the modern Viper HD spotter.

That said, if I was buying a vortex spotter today on a budget, and I had about $800-$1k, I would be buying that Razor instead of the Viper. Even if they're optically identical, the upside to buying vortex is the warranty. If that Gen 1 Razor breaks, they send you a new gen Razor, which currently retails for like $1800. The $800 investment goes further when the time to warranty comes.
I disagree big time. I didn’t even know there is a 3rd Gen but I have ran my Gen 1 next to my buddies Gen 2 and the only difference is the fine focus knob which is love.

I have also run my Gen 1 next to my older viper hd and it wasn’t close. I never even bothered to use my viper because I hated it. I use my razor a ton.

Oddly enough I’ve used both the razor hd binos in the field for a day and viper hd binos for a season and I think they are way too close optically for the price difference. But, I’ll stick with my SLCs

Brownrice

Lil-Rokslider
From what I understand is the older models had superior Japanese glass compared to the current Chinese glass? My old razor 10x42 were great until they fell and cracked a lens. I sent them in and they were obviously cloudy on the outer edges more then what they were before.

Beats me though, maybe my eye sights going.

Pdzoller

WKR
Picked up my gen 1 for $600 something during a sale at sportsmans. I don’t think I can get a better spotter for that price. As previously stated, the fine focus is money.