Razor 65mm

BigDog00

WKR
Let me start by saying I reviewed a ton of threads and it seemed the concensus was that the Razor line was the best bang for your buck out there. I was hesitant to start a new thread but have really started to doubt the scope...

I just recently received my Razor 65mm and have been playing with it around the house. Unfortunately, I'm a little disappointed with it. I dont have anything else to compare it to except my Viper HD 10x42's. The bino's are noticeably brighter and and seem to be a little more crisp. These observations were with the spotter on the lowest magnification. I know this is probably comparing apples to oranges but I figured the razor would be at least on the same level. I also understand that its possible to get varying qualities within the same model (i.e. lemons, cherries). I'm starting to wonder if I should have gone with the 85mm and could probably make the swap. I originally thought I would prefer the smaller model for packability and weight, but if the optical quality is better I would make the sacrifice. These scopes seem to be getting rave reviews, but I was kind of expecting to be blown away and am not even close to it. What is everyone's thoughts? Is it possible I got a lemon?

OP
B

BigDog00

WKR
I guess I should have stated that the observation was at about 7 or 7:30 last night (beginning to get dark) and it was overcast. I know the field of view on the Vipers are about double to that of the Razor which could be the difference. I just figured with the larger objective of the Razor it should be pulling more light in thus making the image brighter.

I know a lot of you guys are probably out chasing animals, but I would really appreciate some feedback.

Beastmode

WKR
What power were you on? Opics will gather more light at their lowest power. My razor 65 does get about 3-5 minutes less glassing time than my razor binos. Use it while its still shooting light and you will be amazed by the clarity.

When I was looking at purchasing a spotter I thought for sure I was getting a razor 85. After comparing them to the swaro "I" personally could see a difference. I keep hearing everybody say that the razors give up nothing to the swaro and other top end spotters and for me this just wasn't true. The razor is a good spotter and the value is there but for me there is a difference. I ended up with a Ziess 85 witb the 75x eyepiece and am very happy with it. It I hadn't been able to get the price down as low as I did I would have been able to get it though. The razors are good scopes but aren't as good as a swaro or Ziess in my opinion. The 65 even more so in my opinion as a 60 swaro get 60x zoom and better glass.

boom

WKR
i'm pretty happy with my 65m razors HD's. i admit, i ONLY bought them for AZ deer hunting. the rest of my stuff, i just havent needed them. that can change tho.

as far as clarity, i think they are OK. i had them side by side with Leupolds and they were very close. my buddy with the Leicas never showed to hunt, so no comparison made. i would love to see both of those side by side. if i used them more, i would have dumped "kidney" money on a set. right now, i cannot justify it.

OP
B

BigDog00

WKR
The more I mess with this scope the more I'm realizing that I probably jumped to a bad conclusion. I think I had the idea in my head that it was going to be like watching football on a 60" HDTV and still being a mile+ away. It does have a pretty impressive picture when dialed in. I still may decide to swap it for the 85mm due to light gathering abilities and the little bit of extra magnification. I appreciate everyone's thoughts on this. On a side note, I have noticed that the dual focus nob takes a little bit to get use to it. There seems to be a very fine "happy medium" between the image beeing clear/crisp and not so.

boom

WKR
Yea. That fine focus is nice for me. I can't imagine a scope without it.