rattle can paint for stock questions- * Updated 11/12/23 *

jsider

FNG
Well I finally got this done :). Thanks for all the tips posted- much appreciated.

I first scuffed it w/ a red pad. Wiped down with alcohol, let it dry and then sprayed two coats of the adhesive. Let it dry and then four coats of the Rustoleum. The first coat looked like $hit, second coat as well. Third coat started looking better, the fourth coat finally what I was hoping for!

24 hours between coats, figured I'd let each coat dry thoroughly.

Then hit it with two coats of clear, again 24 hour between coats.

I'm not sure how this textured stuff will hold up; if it doesn't I'll try a more traditional paint, but right now it looks (and feels) pretty good :D

eP9BcKP.jpg

PheMzzb.jpg
Well- looks like I'm only going to one season out of the paint job. I'm 99% sure it's the paint- just too granular, need a smoother finish paint. I've still got plenty of the adhesive primer and clear coat.

If anyone knows of gray speckle paint (that isn't meant to simulate rock including it's texture)- let me know.

PXnu16M.jpg
What strength clear coat did you use? I’m planning to apply the same stone pattern and will try an automotive clear coat if the Krylon Clear enamel isn’t strong enough.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
What strength clear coat did you use? I’m planning to apply the same stone pattern and will try an automotive clear coat if the Krylon Clear enamel isn’t strong enough.

It was rust-oleum ultra cover clear (matte); it’s possible another clear might help, but the stone texture is really rough and I’m afraid just vulnerable to abrasion.