Rate my FirstAid supplies list

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
(Edit: for backpack hunting with 1-3 people)

I have been putting a lot of thought into my first aid list and I wanted to see what you all thought. What would you omit and why? What am I missing?

I do have my NOLS WFA cert so a lot of the lit stems from that training.

Not listed is the inReach that stays on my chest pack.

Thanks for the help!

View attachment 765553

It has already been mentioned but ace bandages are indispensable. I have used a SAM splint on two occasions. If you’re gonna carry 1 TQ carry 2.
Most of the antibiotics and creams are not that important unless you are going to stay in the backcountry for an extended period of time.
Typically a bad injury or sickness means evac.
Typically anyone who goes through a WFA or WFR goes overboard on their medical kits and will never use 90% of the kit.
I have been a SAR responder for many years and I teach WFA and I am a WFR the most common issue I have seen is joint injuries especially lower body ones.
Everyone is giving you good suggestions, just don’t add stuff unless there is a true need.

OP
CjMelendrez

CjMelendrez

Lil-Rokslider
It has already been mentioned but ace bandages are indispensable. I have used a SAM splint on two occasions. If you’re gonna carry 1 TQ carry 2.
Most of the antibiotics and creams are not that important unless you are going to stay in the backcountry for an extended period of time.
Typically a bad injury or sickness means evac.
Typically anyone who goes through a WFA or WFR goes overboard on their medical kits and will never use 90% of the kit.
I have been a SAR responder for many years and I teach WFA and I am a WFR the most common issue I have seen is joint injuries especially lower body ones.
Everyone is giving you good suggestions, just don’t add stuff unless there is a true need.

Thanks for the advice @mtnbound ! Going through those classes does open your eyes to a lot of potential, but you are right, there's plenty of stuff in those NOLS kits I'll never need.

My biggest concerns are cuts and abrasions. So i carry a cut proof glove for field dressing in my kill kit. I also get worries about lower joint sprains and strains, at worst a break, so the ace bandages and SAM splints makes sense to me. a few dose of meds wont make or break my pack weight if it helps me fight off allergies and stomach issues.

Thanks again for the help overall guys. I'll do a shake down later this week and decide on what I will carry and what can stay in the truck.

You have tape and most likely a ziplock bag, that can be used as a chest seal if needed. Drop the space blanket and use a sleeping bag. I keep my 1st aid kit in a plastic soap dish, little pill baggies for meds, tweezers and eye drops. Misc band-aids. Tape is on my tripod legs. I have enough tape it can be used as an ace bandage over a boot. TQ is on my bino harness.

OP
CjMelendrez

CjMelendrez

Lil-Rokslider
good point on the sleeping bag vs space blanket. I usually set up camp and day hike out so the few grams for a space blanket isn't a concern.

I also put tape on the tripod legs. Easy access. and good call on taping over the boots for stability if needed. all depends on the type of injury.

bpa556

Lil-Rokslider
(Edit: for backpack hunting with 1-3 people)

I have been putting a lot of thought into my first aid list and I wanted to see what you all thought. What would you omit and why? What am I missing?

I do have my NOLS WFA cert so a lot of the lit stems from that training.

Not listed is the inReach that stays on my chest pack.

Thanks for the help!

View attachment 765553

Get rid of all meds except Advil, Aspirin and Benadryl. Add two NPAs and a body stapler. Double up on tourniquet, Israeli bandage and chest seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two items stand out:

1) New-Skin. Think of it like a flexible superglue with some antiseptic in it. It's particularly useful in spots where you need flex (where superglue would break and crack), and in large-area damage, like an abrasion from a fall. Closes everything up, keeps it clean, allows for flex. The bottles are small and not too heavy.

2) Large Heavyweight Contractor's Trash Bag. These make excellent emergency cover, including as a raincoat, if you make holes for the arms and head. They're also particularly useful as ground-cover if you need to lay out a casualty.

This is more general kit than medical, but it's got a lot of crossover utility: Be sure to have a light source (headlamp), a sharpie, a small writing pad or some 3x5 cards, and reflective trail-marking tape.

Antares

WKR
Get rid of all meds except Advil, Aspirin and Benadryl. Add two NPAs and a body stapler. Double up on tourniquet, Israeli bandage and chest seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're really recommending airways (x2), TQ (x2), chest seal (x2), and a surgical stapler for a backpack hunting first aid kit?

NMJM

FNG
A lot of you guys sound like experienced combat medics going on your first civilian backpack hunt. I know anything can happen at anytime but backpacking is really not that dangerous.