Rate my FirstAid supplies list

CjMelendrez

Lil-Rokslider
(Edit: for backpack hunting with 1-3 people)

I have been putting a lot of thought into my first aid list and I wanted to see what you all thought. What would you omit and why? What am I missing?

I do have my NOLS WFA cert so a lot of the lit stems from that training.

Not listed is the inReach that stays on my chest pack.

Thanks for the help!

1726604131236.png

Last edited:

intunegp

WKR
First aid supplies for what, and with what goal in mind?

The meds look like something for an extended family camping trip...I probably don't have all of that in my house at any given time much less on a hunt. It is kind of hard to say what could be omitted or what else should be included without knowing the purpose of this collection of items.

At the very least, having duct tape and electrical tape in a med kit seems redundant. I'd keep one or the other and maybe slightly more of it. While we're on tape, I'd also think carrying Leuko tape would allow you to eliminate the moleskin. You also appear to have three separate lines for various gauze.

The above comments are based on this being something you're carrying with you in whatever situation based on the fact that you mentioned an InReach strapped to your chest.

OP
CjMelendrez

CjMelendrez

Lil-Rokslider
First aid supplies for what, and with what goal in mind?

The meds look like something for an extended family camping trip...I probably don't have all of that in my house at any given time much less on a hunt. It is kind of hard to say what could be omitted or what else should be included without knowing the purpose of this collection of items.

At the very least, having duct tape and electrical tape in a med kit seems redundant. I'd keep one or the other and maybe slightly more of it. While we're on tape, I'd also think carrying Leuko tape would allow you to eliminate the moleskin. You also appear to have three separate lines for various gauze.

Good point, I went back and edited this will be for backpack hunting for 1-3 people.

Makes sense on the meds. There are a lot of ifs when i started jotting down meds to take. I will probably find some that kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

I like the duct tape and electrical tape kept on my trekking poles. I've used both for different situations.

Leuko tape vs moleskin, also a good callout, I'll probably go with Leukotape and omit the moleskin since leukotape holds up better.

And the gauze, yea I'll only pack the combat gauze and a roll of gauze. difference uses.

OP
CjMelendrez

CjMelendrez

Lil-Rokslider
Looks thorough... and heavy. What's the weight on all that?

not sure on weight just yet. I wants to build the list first, get a few doses of meds in baggies, then weigh everything.

also, after looking at the meds list, I'll probably cut out the dayquill, nyquill, dramamine, and midol.

WCB

WKR
IDK...I have felt like shit a few times and wished like hell I had some dayquil/nyquil...so I added some Alka Seltzer day and night tablets. Mostly for nasal congestion and pressure and night tablets to help me just go comatose for the night.

Drop the Hydro Cream imo
I always have an ace bandage. help if you twist a knee or ankle. You can also use it to wrap a splint and can make an arm sling with it in a pinch. While guiding I wrapped more than a couple ankles when someone stepped in a hole. I also carried a good amount of athletic tape which came in handy to stabilize an ankle or two.

honestly though a dose or two of "medications" even the amount you have is no big deal weight wise. I wouldn't bring a family size bottle but enough of each for 24hrs or so is no big deal.

OP
CjMelendrez

CjMelendrez

Lil-Rokslider
IDK...I have felt like shit a few times and wished like hell I had some dayquil/nyquil...so I added some Alka Seltzer day and night tablets. Mostly for nasal congestion and pressure and night tablets to help me just go comatose for the night.

Drop the Hydro Cream imo
I always have an ace bandage. help if you twist a knee or ankle. You can also use it to wrap a splint and can make an arm sling with it in a pinch. While guiding I wrapped more than a couple ankles when someone stepped in a hole. I also carried a good amount of athletic tape which came in handy to stabilize an ankle or two.

honestly though a dose or two of "medications" even the amount you have is no big deal weight wise. I wouldn't bring a family size bottle but enough of each for 24hrs or so is no big deal.

Thanks for the input! Yea I will decide on the meds the closer it gets to season opener. I usually have a pretty well stocked med cabinet due to seasonal shit and the like.

Good call on the ace bandage. I forgot to add that to the list but I usually have one stashed in my pack somewhere.

Antares

WKR
I've considered most everything on your list at one point or another. I've opted to ditch the hyfin, TQ, SAM splint, and shears in the interest of weight. I might consider stuff like that for a basecamp kit on a flyout hunt, but I'm not carrying all that with me all the time. No saying that's smart, just what I do.

OP
CjMelendrez

CjMelendrez

Lil-Rokslider
I've considered most everything on your list at one point or another. I've opted to ditch the hyfin, TQ, SAM splint, and shears in the interest of weight. I might consider stuff like that for a basecamp kit on a flyout hunt, but I'm not carrying all that with me all the time. No saying that's smart, just what I do.

There will most likely be other weight considerations as i start to put things together. the TQ is going to stay. the rest might go. I have some small scissors on a multi-tool that should do the trick

rideold

WKR
I just carry advil, tylenol, benadryl and asprin for meds. I've considered anti-diahhrea but haven't added it. I try to keep my med kit as simple as possible. The rest of you meds seem more of convenience/comfort items than emergency medical. I carry two pain relivers so I can leap frog the doses if someone is in a pain crisis.

NMJM

FNG
I do not know anyone who carries that much 1st aid supplies while backpacking. Have you carried that much stuff before? My guess is if you bring all that and you hike more than a mile from the truck you will cut it down by 90% on your next trip. Keep it simple a few advil tablets, tweezers and leuko tape can short term fix almost any injury you will run into.

That's a lot. Think about how far in you are, how long it would take to get help if you hit sos, and how long it would take for the 2 unaffected guys to help the third out.

My kit:
SofT wide tq
Quick clot gauze
Cured bleed stop small gauze pads
Zip stitch x2
Ibuprofen x4
Vicoden x1
Sudafed x1
Leukotape
Nail file
Vaseline

Lacerations imo are the most likely hazard, so they get the most attention. I am never more than a full days hike from the truck, and my partners are responsible for themselves on meds. Ymmv.

OP
CjMelendrez

CjMelendrez

Lil-Rokslider
That's a lot. Think about how far in you are, how long it would take to get help if you hit sos, and how long it would take for the 2 unaffected guys to help the third out.

My kit:
SofT wide tq
Quick clot gauze
Cured bleed stop small gauze pads
Zip stitch x2
Ibuprofen x4
Vicoden x1
Sudafed x1
Leukotape
Nail file
Vaseline

Lacerations imo are the most likely hazard, so they get the most attention. I am never more than a full days hike from the truck, and my partners are responsible for themselves on meds. Ymmv.

some good things to consider for sure!

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
Best thing you could do is turn your WFA into a WFR.

The only difference between the two is you get longer class time to practice the same skills most WFR courses do not give you anymore advanced skills and cover topics like team litter rescue, mass casualty exercises and other impractical exercises for normal life. If you do go for a WFR really look at the curriculum.

406life

Lil-Rokslider
The only difference between the two is you get longer class time to practice the same skills most WFR courses do not give you anymore advanced skills and cover topics like team litter rescue, mass casualty exercises and other impractical exercises for normal life. If you do go for a WFR really look at the curriculum.
There are pretty significant differences between WFA and WFR. Scope is broader. Depth of understanding and assessment is greater. If you're more than an hour from definitive care, in the woods for days at a time, or need a professional level certification, then WFR is where you start. If you can spare the time and money for the class, you won't regret it.