Rangefinding Binos vs Rangefinder

Paulyester

Lil-Rokslider
I'm getting back into rifle hunting after 5 years of archery. I have fairly unsteady hands, it's difficult for me to range anything with my rangefinder out past 2-300 yards because I'm so shaky. What are the pros and cons of running rangefinding binos for rifle hunting? I picked up a pair of Fury 5000 this weekend, one obvious con is the weight of these suckers.

I live in Utah and hunt out west, mostly spot and stalk.

bsnedeker

WKR
The weight and the warranty are what keep me away personally. Most RF bino manufacturers only warranty the electronics for 1 year...if the electronics go out you are stuck with a heavy set of binos with less optical clarity than you would get from a non-RF bino from the same company.

It's easier to steady a pair of range finding binos than it is to steady a solo range finder. Additionally it's one object you are taking into the field instead of two, so the weight is likely a wash and you might even be saving weight with a ranging bino set up. Some argue it takes less time to glass the target, get a range and get behind the rifle for a shot than it does with a separate bino and range finder.

Having said all of that, I prefer a separate rangefinder and binocular. I use the binos 90% more than I do the rangefinder, so I want a lighter binocular setup. The rangefinder I use, the Gunwerks BR4 can do things no current ranging bino can do as far as ballistics calculations etc. So, another reason why I prefer to separate the two.

And as bsnedker said, which is a very valid point, the warranty issue is a great reason to keep them separate. Electronics will fail at some point. Rangefinders don't have a very long warranty period. When they crap the bed, you have to buy a new one. An integrated rangefinding bino is now an expensive bino that can't range. In the separated setup, you just buy a new rangefinder and don't have to worry about the binos.

TXHunt

FNG
I love my Leica HD-B's I like only caring one thing and if I see an animal while glassing I don't have to take time to get out a rangefinder. Just press a button and I get my range. The HD-B's even give me a true shoot-to-distance with real-time ballistics for my rifle. Its priceless when seconds count.

Beendare

WKR
I ran the Geos for 7 yrs and then went back to a separate Bino/RF…for a few reasons but mainly it turns out i just like it better.

uyws

FNG
Both valid points, SHPoet has a really good point on the price. Thanks for your input! Definitely makes sense to have one of each.

My Vortex Fury 5000 HD ABs are awesome. Point and click, then bam ballistic solution based off current environmental data.

A complete game changer as long as your data is correct. Huge advantage over a separate range finder IMO.

The biggest downside is optical quality, they are on par with viper HD’s. That said I’ve never felt like I missed picking out a game animal. If I was looking for the biggest bull on the mountain that would be different, but even then that’s when I break out the spotter.

ETA for archery a handheld is definitely better, but for rifle hunting range finding binos win hands down.

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
I'm getting back into rifle hunting after 5 years of archery. I have fairly unsteady hands, it's difficult for me to range anything with my rangefinder out past 2-300 yards because I'm so shaky. What are the pros and cons of running rangefinding binos for rifle hunting? I picked up a pair of Fury 5000 this weekend, one obvious con is the weight of these suckers.

I live in Utah and hunt out west, mostly spot and stalk.
Sounds like you need a shot gun & a tripod

Slugz

WKR
The warranty comments on the electronics concerns me. That kinda surprises me.
I was pretty much set on a pair of Leica 2700.com binos but now I have second thoughts.

Any first hand experience with the alpha glass manufacturers and warranty issues with rangefindes? Bino or standalone.

OP
Paulyester

Paulyester

Lil-Rokslider
When it comes to the warranty issue, that’s why I went with Vortex. I know it’s not the best glass but I like the piece of mind

For archery I like to have a smaller rangefinder to use if needed just before as shot ( seems like I can use it with what feels like less movement). For rifle the Geovid’s have been great, but I have had the HD-R version without the ballistics for a long time. Geovid Pro 10x42 will be replacing the older HD-R set this season.

keller

WKR
Went with Leica 2700 rf binos 3 years ago.from meopta hd which i loved.dont think i gave anything up in glass quality and I love the range finder options.temperature ,ballistics, etc. Was pinned down on an aoudad hunt recently not sure if I could have set binos down and picked up rangefinder and got back on rifle without spooking them. 450yds

jblam

Lil-Rokslider
I couldn’t imaging not having range finding binos after using a pair for about 5 years. Once I have a target animal glassed up, I am constantly ranging other objects while on the stock to see where I need to get to to take a shot. Also amazing when you are a spotter and a critter is on the move, you can lay motionless and be constantly giving your buddy distances without losing track of anything. But #1 reason is definitely betting your buddy how far random rocks and trees are to spice up slow days while glassing!

Searched to see exactly what is said in this thread, on a stalk I sometimes ditch my harness and just take a rangefinder but most of the time I keep the whole kit on. Buddy is trying to talk me into zeiss from or Leica rfs. I do get worried about electronics failing in the bino and losing some glass quality.

Tobey

Lil-Rokslider
Since you already have them, I'd say run the fury for a season or two and see what you think. I always struggled with switching from binos to the tiny aperture on range finders, pain in the ass for me. Range finding binos solved a problem, one of the few hunting gadgets I've ever bought that actually made my life better. Everybody has their own comfort system.

OCHO505

Lil-Rokslider
People complain about the weight and price of ranging bino's but there are many reasons I find that funny and I will explain why. #1 how many times are you scouting, hunting or anywhere and use your range finder when you see an animal? Almost never if you have both? How many times are you hunting and see a buck or bull and say ok, that hiss is 400 yards from the buck/bull and I am 1200 from that if I get there I have a 200 yard shot? My guess is never. I had/have ran split system meaning both binos and range finder for years. And thought it is/was fine until my buddy had a ranging set and I realized you under use a range finder when you have an individual range finder because convenience or inconvenience.

We were scouting for deer and I am like ok look at that buck he's kind of far and he's like no not bad 557 yards? I would be like oh there is does right of him just a ways hes like 610. I was like what are you talking about? He was calling yardages constantly and I realized why the hell I have a rangefinder and never use it like this?? Hmmm.. Got me thinking is it me and poor practice or is ranging binos the way to go?

Another scenario. I am w/ my daughter Oryx hunting and we stock up on 4 Oryx that turned into 27 in short time. I am ranging them with my Leica's and telling her which to shoot and the distance. Additionally, after she shot she needed to make a follow up shot which was a different yardage which I was able to call out and tell her where she hit and never put my bino's down.

I got to thinking later on... What if I had a decent rangefinder with good glass like a Leica how hard would it of been to find the exact Oryx, range it, put the range finder down, puck the bino's up watch the shot. Put the bino's down, than re range and hope it was the same one with all that going on. Would of been terrible IMO. Time is often money in the field and its hard to see what a person has in a supremely better scope/glass that a tiny range finder especially in a situation with 10 shooter Oryx and know your looking at the specific one they are through 18X.

I know every scenario is different but I will never not own a set of ranging bino's for a primary ever again after all I have seen how they work in real hunting practicality and how much you learn to use a plan on distance and start be conscious of what distance works for what stocks and shots.

I still have 12's and 15's but I truly believe having ranging bino's is impossible to beat for listed. But maybe its not for everyone but I will never go back to standard bino's.

bsnedeker

WKR
People complain about the weight and price of ranging bino's but there are many reasons I find that funny and I will explain why. #1 how many times are you scouting, hunting or anywhere and use your range finder when you see an animal? Almost never if you have both? How many times are you hunting and see a buck or bull and say ok, that hiss is 400 yards from the buck/bull and I am 1200 from that if I get there I have a 200 yard shot? My guess is never. I had/have ran split system meaning both binos and range finder for years. And thought it is/was fine until my buddy had a ranging set and I realized you under use a range finder when you have an individual range finder because convenience or inconvenience.

We were scouting for deer and I am like ok look at that buck he's kind of far and he's like no not bad 557 yards? I would be like oh there is does right of him just a ways hes like 610. I was like what are you talking about? He was calling yardages constantly and I realized why the hell I have a rangefinder and never use it like this?? Hmmm.. Got me thinking is it me and poor practice or is ranging binos the way to go?

Another scenario. I am w/ my daughter Oryx hunting and we stock up on 4 Oryx that turned into 27 in short time. I am ranging them with my Leica's and telling her which to shoot and the distance. Additionally, after she shot she needed to make a follow up shot which was a different yardage which I was able to call out and tell her where she hit and never put my bino's down.

I got to thinking later on... What if I had a decent rangefinder with good glass like a Leica how hard would it of been to find the exact Oryx, range it, put the range finder down, puck the bino's up watch the shot. Put the bino's down, than re range and hope it was the same one with all that going on. Would of been terrible IMO. Time is often money in the field and its hard to see what a person has in a supremely better scope/glass that a tiny range finder especially in a situation with 10 shooter Oryx and know your looking at the specific one they are through 18X.

I know every scenario is different but I will never not own a set of ranging bino's for a primary ever again after all I have seen how they work in real hunting practicality and how much you learn to use a plan on distance and start be conscious of what distance works for what stocks and shots.

I still have 12's and 15's but I truly believe having ranging bino's is impossible to beat for listed. But maybe its not for everyone but I will never go back to standard bino's.
Why would you think people don't do this exact thing with a rangefinder? Everyone I've ever hunted with does exactly what you are describing. When you are just ranging stuff far away to figure out the best way to approach you just have to range a hillside.... you don't need to range your specific critter.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

crrakcrrak

Lil-Rokslider
I feel like it is far easier for me to be discrete with a rangefinder. If I was a big rifle hunter or a treestand/blind hunter they would be great. As a spot and stalk guy I don't want the bulk of the binos once I get close

OCHO505

Lil-Rokslider
Why would you think people don't do this exact thing with a rangefinder? Everyone I've ever hunted with does exactly what you are describing. When you are just ranging stuff far away to figure out the best way to approach you just have to range a hillside.... you don't need to range your specific critter.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
That’s good if you do. In my case I had not done so and obviously on me. I’m just telling anyone who hasn’t tried ranging binos and making assumptions is not the way to make the choice. If you have and it didn’t work that’s fine too but I fully belief there is no comparison for me.

I have guided, work in a shop and help in shooting courses what your saying is exceptions to the rule. From what I have seen. But it’s Nm and nothing is the same here!