Range finders with Archers Advantage. Are they worth it?

ndayton

WKR
My Leupold range finder display finally gave out, so I am looking for a new range finder for archery use only. I was looking at the Leupold Full Draw 5 and the Bushnell Broadhead, as these are archery specific, but I am not a fan of the price tag.

My question is what will these units do better than any other range finder that has angle compensation. I don't see how calculating my arrow speed and weight changes the actual horizontal distance to a target.

Ho5tile1

WKR
Well some better range finders range dark colors targets better will range farther without a reflective target for starters I’m sure there is more someone smarter then me can say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ndayton

ndayton

WKR
Sorry I should have been clearer.
I am mainly focused on the performance difference between the standard bow mode angle compensation vs Archers Advantage angle compensation.

Is there enough of a difference between the two?

Good podcast on Nock-On about this. It’s number 349 from June 10th. It’s not long but they cover where the advanced software in a rangefinder comes into play.

I’ve been through several of the higher end and middle grade ones and now have the Leupold Fulldraw 5 and it’s hands down the best one I’ve found for bow hunting. Picks up in low light well, is consistent between target colors, the display is clear and bright, it’s easy to use unlike some others, it’s consistent it’s what it returns to you and so far it hasn’t had to be sent back so it’s a winner.

htlt_surfboards

Lil-Rokslider
I switched from a mid level vortex to a leupold full draw 4. I switched because I wasn't getting consistent ranges in misty foggy conditions with the vortex. The leupold definitely does a better job in that area.

As far as the angle comp I've compared them side by side and they do give me different ranges with the vortex getting worse the steeper the angle compared to my sight tape so I do think there is something to putting in your specific arrow specs. On level ground I see no difference but angles it really does make a difference.

The other feature that I didn't even know I wanted was the flight trajectory. In the leupold when you range it will put a horizontal bar above the cross hair which is the top of your arrows flight arc. This has been really handy knowing that I can thread the needle on shots or if I'm gonna hit branches or what not.

Ho5tile1

WKR
Wow I didn’t know the full draw did all that I’m using the broadhead and love it it reads in fog low light etc. and is very accurate and consistent but it don’t do some of the other stuff might have to get me one of those as well..

vmals

FNG
I have the full draw 4 imputed all the data into it and tested it against my run of the mill cheap nikon and it read identical at the steepest angles and longest distances I could find near me. Nothing extreme but it was the most extreme tests I could do or would shoot normally, Still gives me the warm and fuzzies to have it,

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
I switched from a mid level vortex to a leupold full draw 4. I switched because I wasn't getting consistent ranges in misty foggy conditions with the vortex. The leupold definitely does a better job in that area.

As far as the angle comp I've compared them side by side and they do give me different ranges with the vortex getting worse the steeper the angle compared to my sight tape so I do think there is something to putting in your specific arrow specs. On level ground I see no difference but angles it really does make a difference.

The other feature that I didn't even know I wanted was the flight trajectory. In the leupold when you range it will put a horizontal bar above the cross hair which is the top of your arrows flight arc. This has been really handy knowing that I can thread the needle on shots or if I'm gonna hit branches or what not.

I have the FullDraw 4 and am a big fan, primarily because of the “Flightpath” feature. Unnecessary? Maybe, but I’m pretty convinced it’s kept me from tagging limbs a number of times.

CB4

WKR
Another one here using the full draw 4 and very happy with it. Had it for 3+ years now and has done great.

Coming from a Nikon Prostaff it was a big upgrade. Like mentioned the flight path feature is nice

Both are very good up until you hit steep angle shots. My fulldraw 4 let me down last year on a steep 60 yard shot on a nice mule deer in Wyoming. The angle comp didn't cut enough off and I watched the arrow go right over his back. At the time I didn't know what happened until I got home and recreated the shot. Long story short, I switched to using a cut chart and just use the range finder for line of sight distance and angle. I use Precision Cut Archery for generating my cut charts. So, if I was in your position, I would get a good quality range finder that also gives me angle and then use a cut chart, dont worry about bow mode features. I also like Precision Cut Archerys approach way better than Archers Advantage. It's much simpler. There is a good podcast on Kifarucast with the owner.

With all that said, if your not going to have steep angle shots then I would go with the new Full Draw 5.

Those who have a model such as the Leupold RX4/5 Fulldraw, do you feel that the features it provides is more or less useful than their new RX-5000, which can send waypoints to your map app?

TX_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
My Leupold range finder display finally gave out, so I am looking for a new range finder for archery use only. I was looking at the Leupold Full Draw 5 and the Bushnell Broadhead, as these are archery specific, but I am not a fan of the price tag.

My question is what will these units do better than any other range finder that has angle compensation. I don't see how calculating my arrow speed and weight changes the actual horizontal distance to a target.

It makes a difference at extreme angles and longer distances.

If you already have archers advantage, print out a cut chart table. You will notice that uphill and downhill are not the same as you get out in distance and more extreme angle.

You can also compare the table with just angle compensation and see the difference. It can be several yards off. But if you only shoot under 40/50 yards with minimal slope, angle compensation is close enough.

I use a sig kilo 3k, it takes an input for arrow speed. I'm happy with it and like it better than the leupold I used to have.