Range Finder Search

Been using the same basic range vortex range finder since I started hunting a decade ago and recently I’ve found myself looking for more, it angle compensates to 700yds if it’s a boulders, animals around 500. I think I just want a simple angle compensating range finder that can repeatedly range out to around 1k yds. Would love to keep it to around $500 give or take. Is there any clear winners or things to consider before buying.
Please school me, thanks guy.

Last edited:

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Take a look at the Sig Sauer KILO4K OIS 6x22mm Monocular SOK4K601 which is on Black Friday Sale for only $479.99, reduced from $599.99
FEATURES:
  • Optical image stabilization for long-distance, razor-sharp imaging
  • Gen II lightwave DSP ranging engine
  • Onboard temperature, pressure, and humidity sensors for accurate real-time ballistic calculations
  • 5 target modes; first, best, last, fog, extended range
  • 5 range modes; BDX-U, BDX-X, AMR, LOS, Archery
  • Drop remote waypoints with BASEMAP app
  • Applied ballistics UltraLite with complete ab bullet database, up to 25 bullet profiles, and 8 onboard ballistic groups
  • BDX 2.0 enabled with low energy, long-range Bluetooth
  • IPX-7 waterproof runs off cr123 lithium battery and integrated tripod mount

OP
Sierra Hunter
Take a look at the Sig Sauer KILO4K OIS 6x22mm Monocular SOK4K601 which is on Black Friday Sale for only $479.99, reduced from $599.99
FEATURES:
  • Optical image stabilization for long-distance, razor-sharp imaging
  • Gen II lightwave DSP ranging engine
  • Onboard temperature, pressure, and humidity sensors for accurate real-time ballistic calculations
  • 5 target modes; first, best, last, fog, extended range
  • 5 range modes; BDX-U, BDX-X, AMR, LOS, Archery
  • Drop remote waypoints with BASEMAP app
  • Applied ballistics UltraLite with complete ab bullet database, up to 25 bullet profiles, and 8 onboard ballistic groups
  • BDX 2.0 enabled with low energy, long-range Bluetooth
  • IPX-7 waterproof runs off cr123 lithium battery and integrated tripod mount
Thank you, I was thinking of trying to stay away from something with too many features. Is it user friendly or does it take a PHD to use it?

Carl Ross

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the Maven. Fantastic laser AND a good price point, does just what you’re looking for.

There’s Sig products I like, but I’m 2/2 on disappointment on their monocular rangefinders, and I know it’s not isolated to me.

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
You can pick up an Athlon 1 Mile. It’s inexpensive. Has a lifetime warranty. Ranges deer out to 800 yds.

Or maybe a Vortex Viper HD 3000 (on sale) or Crossfire 1400?

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
The Athlon 1 mile really punches above its weight class! (And it is so cheap everyone ought to at leas have one as a backup.)

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thank you, I was thinking of trying to stay away from something with too many features. Is it user friendly or does it take a PHD to use it?
It's fairly simple to use and similar to my iPhone, you don't need to use every feature but it's there if you ever want it

OP
Sierra Hunter
The Athlon 1 mile really punches above its weight class! (And it is so cheap everyone ought to at leas have one as a backup.)
Just looked it up, seems like a steal. Is it missing anything, reliability issues. You use yours as your primary range finder?

Vaultman

WKR
In that price range, a used Leica would be better than anything else out there.
I got a Leica 3200.com from camera land a few years ago and love it. You may be able to find a used one for $500ish. I'd say if any black Friday deals come up on them they would be worth it.
(I can range a bolder with mine at 2200 yds).

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
Just looked it up, seems like a steal. Is it missing anything, reliability issues. You use yours as your primary range finder?
I used it as primary on a recent mule deer trip to try it out… it is really solid and reliable if you want basic features… and Doug’s price is a steal

I have a Kilo5K that I just set up an hour ago. It took about 10 mins to pair it with my phone, make my ballistic profile, and choose the settings I want on the rangefinder (MRAD for giving me my elevation drop). I'm probably a bit more tech savvy than most people but it still wasn't that bad.

Been using the same basic range vortex range finder since I started hunting a decade ago and recently I’ve found myself looking for more, it angle compensates to 700yds if it’s a boulders, animals around 500. I think I just want a simple angle compensating range finder that can repeatedly range out to around 1k yds. Would love to keep it to around $500 give or take. Is there any clear winners or things to consider before buying.
I have five different rangefinders for different things. One is an archery practice unit. Two smaller ones are kept in my archery backpack and my rifle hunting Rangefinders stay in my rifle pack.

I always carry a matching unit as a backup when on a hunt.

The absolute best, most consistent unit I’ve found for long range rifle is the Vortex Razor 4000 followed by the Maven RF1. I compared the Vortex to everything from Sig, Leupold, Leica, Nikon, etc and it beat them all for me in speed, distance, and repeatability. The only reason they aren’t also my archery units is because they don’t have any flight path tech and they are quite a bit bigger.

I was very surprised by these units as I’ve never cared much for Vortex. Always been a brand that was just useable to me and I absolutely hated the early rangefinders they were producing.

TaperPin

WKR
I‘ve been headed toward oneof the sig models. Even if this reads 1/3 of its rated distance it would work for me. Seems like a decent distance for the price.

The sig 849FD325-B63D-40A2-9BDD-1D3257819BAC.jpeg

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
I see the Leica 2400 at Cabelas & others for $599. My 7 year old 1600 reaches out to rocks over 1500 with no problem, very reliable and simple without a ton of never used features & better glass than anything but the bino rangefinders. Good customer service for me when pup chewed on the eyepiece.