Ranching for wildlife Units in Colorado info help

Yes a New-Bee here and I have found this site enjoyable and very helpful. I am trying to educate myself on the pro's / con's of ranching for wildlife hunting in Colorado, leaning toward archery. That said, can anyone offer input, links to articles, good units or locations to consider or other personal experience. I do have points, just not sure what I want to do yet. Thanks

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Pro: access to private land that COULD offer less pressure and also fringe hunting dates.

Cons: potentially more rigid hunting (IE they tell you to stay in a specific spot), you are limited to their turf vs pursuing animals on public, I think most cater to rifle as opposed to archery. Most aren't going to do more other than point you to some areas (or assign you to some) if you are thinking you'd be guided very few do and those that do are higher points to draw. Also they are guiding for free in those cases and are trying to churn hunters through so you'll be rushed along and expected to shoot when something is seen, they'll either load animals whole or quick quarter them hide on (IE just legs and backstraps/loin) while leaving all the rib and neck meat (at least that's the experience a buddy had on one, but he didn't push the issue of getting more off the animal at which point they may have accommodated but they were just going for the minimum legally off the bat). Some allow onsite camping but many you have to camp off property and drive in/check in every morning.

cnelk

WKR
When hunting RFW, you WONT be in the best area on the ranch. They save those for the 'paying' hunters.

But if you want to go get your feet wet, you will prob see some elk, maybe even shoot one on RFW

fishslap

WKR
When hunting RFW, you WONT be in the best area on the ranch. They save those for the 'paying' hunters.

But if you want to go get your feet wet, you will prob see some elk, maybe even shoot one on RFW

I don’t think this can be claimed for all ranches. I hunted one for deer two years ago and could hunt the entire ranch. They only restricted driving in two areas to keep from pushing animals off, but you could walk in no problem. I had a RFW elk property let me pack my public land muzzy bull to their boundary for easier pack out last year. They were talking about their RFW hunt that I could draw for the same points and said the whole ranch was open with no restrictions. I asked.

I prefer hunting the same public land each year though so I don’t think I’ll do another RFW.