Ranch living

Tonight my wife was gone on a business meeting and had called before she had settled down for the night. We were in the middle of reviewing the days activities when I noticed my horses in the front field were at high alert with tails and ears in the air like a cat in the middle of them.

I went out on the porch for a better look. All of a sudden a cow elk jumped the fence into the yard focussing my attention. She was followed by a bull and 7 cows with calves. After a bit the horses settled in with them and life went back to a munchfest on the lush green grass.

It's nice to know no matter how old you get - there is always the opportunity for something you have never seen before to occur.

wyosteve

WKR
Interesting. two mornings ago, I had 5 cow elk with only 1 calf in my pasture. Don't know why there weren't more calves since we didn't have a tough winter. 30 minutes later as I'm leaving my driveway, almost hit 4 mule deer bucks that crossed in front of me.

hunterjmj

WKR
Never had elk on my place but whitetails and mule deer pass through. We don't live on a ranch but I'm bordered on all sides by a big ranch so we get some of the benefits. The kids help move cows, feed in the winter and bottle feed calves. It's great to sit outside and see deer, cows, tractors, etc and not cityscapes. Hoping it stays the same here.

wytx

WKR
Our refuge is the ranch we work for.
Have had a cow and calf in the meadows and a young bull.
Watching some decent WT bucks and hoping one stays around til deer season.
Doe have had good fawn recruitment this year so far, except for the eagle take we watched from the house, that doe was frantic but to no avail.
Some nice bighorn rams up in the higher pastures, always nice to see.

We irrigate for the owner so we get to watch grass grow all spring and summer, lol.
Winter trapping can be eye opening. Usually have a mt lion check out the meadows at some point every year.

Gotta say though, getting up into the mountains is also a nice refuge in Fall.

Sounds nice Pony, hope you all have a good winter.

wyosteve

WKR
We've had increased black bear presence, so I'm wondering if they have been munching elk calves.

That sure beats my experience. I heard some cars racing up and down the street with music pumping bass so loud it shook the windows. At least it wasn't the usual volley of gunshots and sirens I hear. Ahhhhh city life. Can't wait for my Chama trip in 7 weeks.

Whizkid

FNG
Tonight my wife was gone on a business meeting and had called before she had settled down for the night. We were in the middle of reviewing the days activities when I noticed my horses in the front field were at high alert with tails and ears in the air like a cat in the middle of them.

I went out on the porch for a better look. All of a sudden a cow elk jumped the fence into the yard focussing my attention. She was followed by a bull and 7 cows with calves. After a bit the horses settled in with them and life went back to a munchfest on the lush green grass.

It's nice to know no matter how old you get - there is always the opportunity for something you have never seen before to occur.
Horses are the best alarm system you can get

Very cool !!

Just yesterday, my eye also caught something different when the normal WT deer had a much different lope. Low and behold was a calf who seemed to have been separated from the herd. First time seeing them since late winter.

For the past few days we'd been hearing what sounded like a bird in the middle of the night through our open windows. It was strange because the birds tend to be very silent here at night. Turns out it must have been the calf's "distress" call which I never even thought about in summer here.

Also saw a bald eagle perched on a neighbor's pasture fence post, which also tends not to happen except in winter here, plus about 10 turkey vultures perched on same fence. Expect there's more to be seen if inspected the neighbor's pasture.

Agree with you. Absolutely love seeing those kinds of things.

Pony Soldier , awesome to be in an area to see critters . For me it wood be lake/woods living . Have watched black bear, beaver , otters, muskrat and waterfowl swimming in our bay. Also coyotes, deer , timberwolves, fox, raccoons , skunk, rabbits, groundhogs, squirrels in our yard (admittedly some didnt make it out alive) . Overhead eagles and osprey .Couldnt imagine living where there is no wildlife around .

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t beat it. I wouldn’t trade the ranch life for all the amenities a city had to offer.

Had a young mare tree a yearling black bear a few years ago. That was a fun predicament to sort through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk