Rain Shell Arcteryx Alpha AR VS Stone Glacier M5

TJE0705

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, Im looking at getting a new shell. Ive got a First Lite SEAK Jacket and pants that I really like but the only downside is I got it in fusion and want something solid. Ive been looking around and have kinda narrowed it down to either an arcteryx aplha ar or a stone glacier M5. I was wondering if anyone has had both and could give me some Pros and cons of each one. I read a lot on here about the arcteryx beta ar but they dont come in an earth tone solid color and I think. I’ll like the storm hood on the alpha vs the beta one. The stone glacier kind of checks all the boxes for me too and defiantly like the price better. I dont mind spending the money on an Arcteryx jacket but just wanted to know from everyone if it is truly a far more superior piece. I will say that this jacket will be used for everything from hunting To just everyday where and everything in between. Thanks for the info guys and look forward to hearing from you .

maxpetros

Lil-Rokslider
I have an Alpha AR but can’t comment on the stone glacier piece. I’m east coast based and primarily a climber and ice climber aside from using it as a backpacking and hunting shell. The jacket has held up really well to a lot of abuse and abrasion. I’ll be honest, the new PFC free DWR is pretty crap. Even new the face fabric would wet out quickly. Was rather disappointed at first but tech wash revives it very well and that’s part of a normal care routine anyway.

I like that it uses two deniers of fabric, higher in areas more prone to wear and a little lighter next to the body. Keeps the shell reasonably light and what makes me grab it more often than my alpha SV.

I do like the way the pockets are oriented for use with a harness (an often occurrence for me) but they do drive me a little crazy around town. You can’t put your hands in them like a normal jacket pocket. They oriented so you reach across with the opposite hand. Overall I’m very pleased with the layout and quality of construction. It’s well thought out and performs very well for it’s intended purpose, but it’s a purpose built alpine and climbing shell…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
Ttt. I am also looking at both and looking for more feedback on them both.

Never owned anything from stone glacier, but never would after hearing people CS experiences. I have Arcteryx Alpha AR and Beta LT though and tried the Beta AR on too when I got the LT. I didn't like the hood/collar on the Beta AR either, the collar felt too tight when I tried it on with a my thin Kuhl midlayer. The storm hood is also beneficial if you do any night hunting with helmet mounted NVG.

I prefer the Beta LT to the Alpha AR though for several reasons. The first being that its a better all around shell than the Alpha because its much more comfortable in the hot humid climates to me. I used it all summer in the FL gulf coast heat and was using it the last few days when we had the artic air blast and didn't get higher than the teens during the day. I was out in it one night for a couple hours mostly stationary doing some repairs when it was -10F and -30F with wind chill in it with a midweight base layer and a midweight merino mid layer and was comfortable. The Beta also has better pocket location for accessing while wearing a pack, it stuffs into the outer stuff pocket of my pack better, and I like the color of it better (its a ranger/foliage green and Alpha is black). My Alpha AR is an older Canadian made one and my Beta LT I bought the beginning of this year and is Vietnamese made if that makes a difference. Current Alpha AR is Chinesium.

FWIW the Alpha AR I left in my storage unit and it's one of the many things being sold when I'm back in a few months.

Never owned anything from stone glacier, but never would after hearing people CS experiences. I have Arcteryx Alpha AR and Beta LT though and tried the Beta AR on too when I got the LT. I didn't like the hood/collar on the Beta AR either, the collar felt too tight when I tried it on with a my thin Kuhl midlayer. The storm hood is also beneficial if you do any night hunting with helmet mounted NVG.

I prefer the Beta LT to the Alpha AR though for several reasons. The first being that its a better all around shell than the Alpha because its much more comfortable in the hot humid climates to me. I used it all summer in the FL gulf coast heat and was using it the last few days when we had the artic air blast and didn't get higher than the teens during the day. I was out in it one night for a couple hours mostly stationary doing some repairs when it was -10F and -30F with wind chill in it with a midweight base layer and a midweight merino mid layer and was comfortable. The Beta also has better pocket location for accessing while wearing a pack, it stuffs into the outer stuff pocket of my pack better, and I like the color of it better (its a ranger/foliage green and Alpha is black). My Alpha AR is an older Canadian made one and my Beta LT I bought the beginning of this year and is Vietnamese made if that makes a difference. Current Alpha AR is Chinesium.

FWIW the Alpha AR I left in my storage unit and it's one of the many things being sold when I'm back in a few months.
Odd, I haven’t had anything but the best experiences with SGs customer service. They are stand up guys. Especially compared to other high end hunting brands.

Yeah SG customer service is great. I just sent a pack in that’s 8 years old. Not only were they repairing it for free they paid shipping both ways.