Rain Jacket Already Wetting Out...

I just bought a KUIU Yukon Rain Jacket and noticed that the jacket is no longer beading up water in spots after wearing it twice. I haven't bucked brush or anything with it, nor have I put it through the wringer. I think I may have worn a backpack once which would explain the shoulders acting funny.

Is this normal or should I have KUIU look at it and tell them that their DWR sucks?
PXL_20221115_181841741.jpg PXL_20221115_181824479.jpgPXL_20221115_181814781.MP.jpg

I just bought a KUIU Yukon Rain Jacket and noticed that the jacket is no longer beading up water in spots after wearing it twice. I haven't bucked brush or anything with it, nor have I put it through the wringer. I think I may have worn a backpack once which would explain the shoulders acting funny.

Is this normal or should I have KUIU look at it and tell them that their DWR sucks?
View attachment 475124 View attachment 475123View attachment 475122
I would say that’s pretty standard, I have never had breathable rain gear that beaded water off for long… there is no clothing I wear hunting that DWR is important to me, because it goes away fast.

You could contact them and see what they say, but I wouldn’t expect different results with any gear. I expect water to bead off any dwr for a half day.

Seems to come back a bit after drying, but it’s gone again fast

gbflyer

WKR
I have a camo one. It soaks up water like that. Is it dry inside? I don’t know. It’s damp inside from sweat or rain.

BBob

WKR
Throw it in the dryer for 10-15 minutes and see if the DWR is reactivated. If not use the appropriate Nikwax or GearAid Revivex and throw it in the dryer now and then to help keep the waterproofing doing its job.

bigmike23

Lil-Rokslider
I've never had rain gear that was completely waterproof. It doesn't exist. If you bust enough brush it will push through eventually

OP
H
Well shiiitttt. KUIU has not responded to my email. Looks like I'm just going to have to rub beeswax all over the high wear areas.

OP
H
Are you actually wet inside. Or are you just worried about make believe?
Since I've already been hypothermic twice due to wetted out rain gear I think I have the right to be worried about a high dollar rain jacket already showing signs of losing its DWR.

Alaska don't **** around and I'm tired of getting hosed by gear that should be doing it's job.

Movi

FNG
Since I've already been hypothermic twice due to wetted out rain gear I think I have the right to be worried about a high dollar rain jacket already showing signs of losing its DWR.

Alaska don't **** around and I'm tired of getting hosed by gear that should be doing it's job.
If you can’t tough it in AK maybe you should move to GA.

Use HH like a proper Alaskan and not the <insert brand of choice> preferred by those in the Lower 49.

This is more for the benefit of other readers:

That still doesn't answer the question of if you actually got wet or not.

Use HH like a proper Alaskan and not the <insert brand of choice> preferred by those in the Lower 49.

I picked up a HH pro line jacket for snowboarding two years ago. Never owned any HH brand before, but tried all manner of waterprroof. Never couldnt believe the hype HH was better, but holy smokes do they make amazing jackets!

OP
H

Rubbers don't work great when you're hiking hard. If it's other types of HH I could give them a whirl.