Rain gear

Looking for some advise on rain gear. Currently comparing Sitka Dew Point and SG M5, but would definitely look at other options based on popular opinion. Would consider M7 but I’ve never used a fleece backed rain jacket.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The stone glacier M5 is trash. Mine wetted through and the pockets were constantly damp so anything in them was wet and you couldn’t even really warm your hands up for a second in them. I love my stone glacier pack but I won’t buy any more clothes from them. I like the kuiu Yukon raingear much better.

OP
Jackets307
The stone glacier M5 is trash. Mine wetted through and the pockets were constantly damp so anything in them was wet and you couldn’t even really warm your hands up for a second in them. I love my stone glacier pack but I won’t buy any more clothes from them. I like the kuiu Yukon raingear much better.

That’s great feedback, thank you!!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
That’s great feedback, thank you!!

No problem, I’ve bigoted out n the open with that M5 and used it in fairly wet conditions for ~ 3 years and was just never impressed. I sold my kuiu Yukon to buy it and regretted it the first time I put the m5 on. When I moved on from the m5 I went back to the Yukon. I know a guy with the kuiu kutana and it seems really nice too. In my opinion, kuiu makes the best hunting specific rain gear. I’m sure Sitka is good too.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
Go with gortex. Go lightweight. And realize waterproof/breathable rain gear will never be 100% water proof but it will be 90% waterproof, 80% waterproof etc. which is plenty to keep you from actually getting soaked.
a heavy face fabric will take longer to dry and doesn't mean more waterproof. Look for something under 13 ounces

OP
Jackets307
Go with gortex. Go lightweight. And realize waterproof/breathable rain gear will never be 100% water proof but it will be 90% waterproof, 80% waterproof etc. which is plenty to keep you from actually getting soaked.
a heavy face fabric will take longer to dry and doesn't mean more waterproof. Look for something under 13 ounces

Noted. Thank you!

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been very happy with the Kuiu Kutana Storm Shell. I’ve had it in some nasty weather and it has done its job. I have the M7, but it’s way too hot until it gets really cold out. For what it’s worth, many people love the M5 and it has a lot of great reviews. I wouldn’t take that off your list based on one bad review, just like you shouldn’t go and buy the Kutana based on my one review. I have many pieces from Stone Glacier and their stuff has been great. Do your homework and make an informed purchase.

OP
Jackets307
I’ve been very happy with the Kuiu Katana Storm Shell. I’ve had it in some nasty weather and it has done its job. I have the M7, but it’s way too hot until it gets really cold out. For what it’s worth, many people love the M5 and it has a lot of great reviews. I wouldn’t take that off your list based on one bad review, just like you shouldn’t go and buy the Kutana based on my one review. I have many pieces from Stone Glacier and their stuff has been great. Do your homework and make an informed purchase.

Great point. Thank you!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've had very good luck with the Dewpoint- top and bottoms. The weight is pretty reasonable too considering the jacket has full pit zips, ample pockets and a very nice adjustable hood. Bottoms are full zip and have good pockets.

If I was on a commercial fishing boat, I'd probably pick different rain gear; for hunting I'm sold :)

OP
Jackets307
I've had very good luck with the Dewpoint- top and bottoms. The weight is pretty reasonable too considering the jacket has full pit zips, ample pockets and a very nice adjustable hood. Bottoms are full zip and have good pockets.

If I was on a commercial fishing boat, I'd probably pick different rain gear; for hunting I'm sold :)

It looks like a great set for the weight!!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Last May, two straight days of rain traversing across the Bob Marshall Wilderness- wading through/over/under a ton of blowdown, fording numerous icy, swollen creeks & rivers- nary a scratch on them and while my feet were soaked, the rest of me wasn't :)

OjCe0x5.jpg

OP
Jackets307
Any feedback on the First Lite Omen stormshelter?

schmalzy

WKR
Another kutana fan here. Only had it one serious storm (constant downpour for most of the day) and no wet out, but multiple showers as well. No durability issues yet. That being said, other big reason I like it is the cut/sizing is right on the money for me and I like the additional chest pockets and pockets on pants.

Looking for some advise on rain gear. Currently comparing Sitka Dew Point and SG M5, but would definitely look at other options based on popular opinion. Would consider M7 but I’ve never used a fleece backed rain jacket.

Any thoughts?

m7 is a winter jacket. I ski in it and have to vent it most days. I wouldnt wear it in Sept or Oct

brockel

WKR

Anyone tried this stuff from catch and release?

Chuckybmd

WKR
I have the kuiu Northridge jacket and rain pants. Only posting to say I am not super impressed with them. They are very lightweight, but basically it’s like wearing a sauna. I find myself sweating to death. Also, I wish I had bought it in XL. I wear large in almost everything else but a little bit bigger would’ve been nicer so that I could zip it up over more gear.