Rain Gear

EC4reel

FNG
I want to have set of rain duds either in my pack or at the truck this year.

I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on the Kuiu Chugach set ($500).

Are there some economical options you guys are happy with?

In my experience, you get what you pay for with rain gear. I've had some budget stuff for hunting and biking, and ended up wet. Either from water soaking through or sweat. The gear that breathes best will cost you.

I've had Sitka, and now have both the Chugach and Yukon sets. With correct layering, I can stay dry all day and that priceless for me. I've heard good things about Helly Hansen Impertech II and Cabela's Rain Suede, which are a bit cheaper but I have never used them.

I think the old saying goes: Waterproof, breathable, or cheap....pick 2 of the 3.

I have used HH Impertech will keep you dry but it's heavy and does not breath. I used cabelas space rain last two years it does not breath and it's some what fragile but it's inexpensive and super light. I bought the Kuiu Chugach this year and am ditching the soft shell but I have not spent any time in it. The Cabelas space rain is great if you are not using it much.

I have the space rain. Economical and light. Mine survived a mile of crawling thru blowdowns last fall. Plus for less than $200 for the whole set it is a good deal.

I agree with sodak, space rain for me too. Light enough to carry all the time and a lot more durable than I thought. I have trudged through some thick stuff with it and no tears so far.

I have an rei kimtah jacket that is made with event fabric and it is awesome. I also have a Core4Element torrent jacket that worked great last year, although it is not nearly as breathable as the rei jacket. The C4E jacket is a great deal for the money. You can find the C4E jacket and pants for under $200 on CamoFire. That's the combined price, not each.

Spacerain x3 - light affordable cheap and has held up better than I thought it would- if I spent more time hunting/hiking in the rain I would think about an upgrade but it's hard to spend 500+ on something that I hope I don't have to wear

I'm going to give Core4Element torrent jacket a try this season. Price was good, anyone have any field experience with Core 4?
I used the Core4 Torrent set last year in an all day downpour....I stayed dry all day. I'm pretty impressed with it so far.

Back