Rain gear- Sitka dewpoint input?

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone. Need a set of rain gear. I have mostly all Sitka subalpine and EV2 (whitetail here in the northeast). I've been reading reviews on mfg websites and it seems like for every guy that says it kept them dry in a monsoon, there's 2 others that say a drizzle had them soaked.

Figured I would ask those I trust. I'm considering the Dewpoint. Anyone with serious experience with em? I'm open to other suggestions as well. Packable and light is huge, as always. But so is staying dry as unless lightening is a concern rain doesn't stop me from hunting. I'd like to find a set that will truly keep me mostly dry during a typical rainy day.

Thanks in advance!!

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't used the dewpoint. I do have a set of the cloudburst. I've used it on quite a few hunts and haven't been wet yet. It also works well as an over layer to block wind.

Wapiti151

WKR
Love my dewpoint set. Super light but works exactly as advertised. Have used for two seasons and one of those in Alaska and I have yet to get wet through the jacket or pant. I'll trust it fully going back to Alaska this year.

Red33

FNG
I like my Sitka dewpoint for backpack hunts when it might rain for a bit- they are light and packable, but for hunts when I know it's going to rain for days I use the Kuiu Yukon. They seem to stay dryer longer. FWIW, I live in North Idaho and we can get a fair amount of rain.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like mine. I put them through hell in the Bob Marshall last spring- on and off rain (more on than off) for three days, combined with negotiating a $hit ton of blowdown. Very pleased with their performance.

5lOXONg.jpg

OjCe0x5.jpg

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
In the picture above with with the man crossing that water what keeps the water from coming up your leg? I’m a Florida boy and have only hunted from here to Illinois. No mountain hunting or creek crossings in snowy cold conditions. I have seen many folks cross and always wondered how they don’t get frost bite on there toes or keep there legs dry doing that. I hope to get to do my first archery Elk hunt in the next 5 years and I’m sure I will have to do such a thing. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
In the picture above with with the man crossing that water what keeps the water from coming up your leg? I’m a Florida boy and have only hunted from here to Illinois. No mountain hunting or creek crossings in snowy cold conditions. I have seen many folks cross and always wondered how they don’t get frost bite on there toes or keep there legs dry doing that. I hope to get to do my first archery Elk hunt in the next 5 years and I’m sure I will have to do such a thing. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing :D

I'm wading across in trail runners. I forded that river 7-8 times that same day (the trail would switch sides every couple of miles).

This was a three day trip across the Bob Marshall in late May, other than night in my sleeping bag, my feet were wet from rain, snow or fording numerous creek the entire time. No possible way to keep your feet dry in that environment other than flying :)

I do carry a pair of thin neoprene socks (NRS Hydroskins) and wore them most of that trip, your feet are still wet, but the neoprene does a pretty good job of keeping your feet warm.

It is important in a wet environment like that to take the time and dry your feet occasionally during the day, even though within minutes they'll be wet again. And essential to insure they are dry at night.

In your situation (elk hunting) it might be necessary to ford a deep creek or river. If that looks like a distinct possibility where you're hunting, then it's probably worth bringing a light pair of trail runners or Crocs for those crossing- keeping your worn socks/boots dry. These can double as "camp shoes" for lounging around camp and getting out of your boots.

Thanks everyone. looks like i'll be keepin an eye out for a decent deal on a medium set.
Check out Camofire. They list specials on sporting equipment, and the items change daily. Once or twice a week they will offer Sitka at a near 50% discount, but you have to be quick. Check it in the morning if you can before the early shoppers snatch up the good deals.

Last edited:
Hey everyone. Need a set of rain gear. I have mostly all Sitka subalpine and EV2 (whitetail here in the northeast). I've been reading reviews on mfg websites and it seems like for every guy that says it kept them dry in a monsoon, there's 2 others that say a drizzle had them soaked.

Figured I would ask those I trust. I'm considering the Dewpoint. Anyone with serious experience with em? I'm open to other suggestions as well. Packable and light is huge, as always. But so is staying dry as unless lightening is a concern rain doesn't stop me from hunting. I'd like to find a set that will truly keep me mostly dry during a typical rainy day.

Thanks in advance!!
CMS829, check your PM