Rain gear recommendations for Idaho hunt September - October

I'm looking at upgrading my rain gear for this year's hunt. I have a set of Kryptek lightweight rain gear in highlander, but the top is a pull-on 3/4 zip with no pit zips and I really want a full zip and want ptit zips for ventilation. I also have an old Kryptek Koldo set that works great but it's heavy and its gray, not camo. I'll be hiking in the mountains so I need something light and breathable, that I can throw on over my bino harness/water pack and puffy vest. I'm looking at Kuiu, Canis and Forloh. I also want it quiet. Any recommendations appreciated.

Sitka wasn’t on your list, but I’ve used the new dew point for the last two years and it has worked great for me. It’s lightweight, durable, breathable and has kept me dry. Mine fits perfect over my bino harness and stone glacier puffy. I like it so much I bought another jacket I found on sale…

PNWGATOR

WKR
Where in ID?

Makes a difference.

The Panhandle and is MUCH different than central or southern ID in regards to what you’re going to need.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
I have the stone glacier m5's which have served me well. Breathes really good, and keeps me dry. I feel that is it very quiet as well.
Before that I used rubber so don't have too much to compare it besides I borrowed a kuiu yukon jacket, that didn't work at all for me.

OP
P
Sitka wasn’t on your list, but I’ve used the new dew point for the last two years and it has worked great for me. It’s lightweight, durable, breathable and has kept me dry. Mine fits perfect over my bino harness and stone glacier puffy. I like it so much I bought another jacket I found on sale…
Thanks I'll add Sitka

ElkNut1

WKR
Use what you have. I've had the same rain gear as you for aprox 8 years, no issues at all. Yes I hunt Idaho not far from where you want to hunt.

ElkNut

Red33

FNG
I live in North Idaho and I have both Kuiu and Sitka (I'm a gear freak, and we get a lot of rain here). The Sitka dewpoint is more packable, lighter weight and better for my archery hunts and early Oct hunts. If I'm packing in, I take this. If it is colder or I'm hunting from the truck or base camp, I like the Yukon better. More heavyweight and doesn't feel as cold when it rains. But, something about the Yukon pants bothers me- they are loud. There is a strange noise that comes from the waterproof seat area that crinkles when you walk and it drives me nuts. I love this set and I think it works better than the Sitka overall, but if I'm hiking far or need to stalk I almost always go to my Sitka because of the noise.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I spent two full days in my Sitka Dewpoint top/bottoms in the Bob Marshall Wilderness last May- probably close to 40 miles (and over 20 hours on the trail) with rain falling ~ 80% of the time (light to heavy), temps in the upper 30's to mid 40's. Plenty of crawling through nasty blowdown sections too.

I'm giving them a solid two thumbs up, they are definitely going with me this August to the Brooks Range.

OjCe0x5.jpg

Venom One

WKR
Sitka Dewpoint or Kuiu Chugach are solid, lightweight, packable options.

Kuiu Yukon is probably heavier than you want, but excellent gear. Love all the pockets.

neilv

FNG
I have used kuiu the last two years up there - the kutana i belive its called - i have had great success - durable and keeps me dry - hiking or on horseback,

Someone else mentioned fitness and boots - absolutely correct here - its steep rough terrain so be ready.
I wear crispi guides - insulated.

Was there last October and it went from 80 to 2 ft of snow between Monday and Thursday.

Bump79

WKR
I searched hard for the middle ground in rain gear that was light enough, pit zips, breathable and quiet. The Pnuma 3L fit the bill for me and it has performed so far. It's not crinkly and is slightly brushed. For elk and mule deer in the rockies it's perfect so far. I'd go something heavier for PNW or Canada.

You can get it for $200 on sale typically.

czscout

FNG
Any interest in wool? I live in N. Idaho, work and hike a lot in the rain. I've spent decades experimenting with all manner of synthetics, Ventile cotton and wool. My standard cold rain set up is similar to my sub freezing set up- thin wool base layer, darn tough wool socks, wool button up shirt (military surplus, if it's really cold, a wool vest (Empire wool/canvas Jackpine Vest), wool gaberdine pants, wool jeep cap- or brimmed felt hat and a loose military surplus wool shirt over that. I find wool to be silent, tough to wear out or tear, naturally camouflaging, breathes better than anything and is still warm and comfortable even after being out in the rain all day. A very different approach from more technically detailed gear, but I like the simplicity and ruggedness of it.