Rafting classes/resources

lcx321

FNG
I am planning to do a moose/caribou float hunt in Alaska in the future. I bought an alpaca raft, took it to the near by lake, and found out that I have a lot to learn. Are there any classes/resources that are available to teach newbies some basic stuffs, like how to paddle, how to read water etc. I did some online learning, but I would much prefer a in-person type of class. Thanks in advance for any input.

Cyril

FNG
There are in various locations. Not sure where you are located. Here in south east PA there are a couple of companies that offer this on the Lehigh River. When I was at New River Gorge National Park, there were companies there that offered it as well. Find a nearby river and do a Google search with the river name. Good luck.

There is also a guy in alaska, that has a packrafting how to book. I just can't remeber his name.
if you are going to hit something on the river, lean into it, not away from it.

Htm84

WKR

There is also a guy in alaska, that has a packrafting how to book. I just can't remeber his name.
Luc Mehl. He has a lot of rafting specific content on his site also.

Lots of people offering classes in AK but I don’t know if any in the lower 48

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
Couple things to unpack here. What model raft did you get? Yes the forager is rated for one paddler and a full moose, but for even an experienced paddler that’s a load, and I wouldn’t touch anything over the light class II bar. A caribou trip would be much more appropriate for a first time float hunt, especially solo.

I took Luc Mehl’s SSI packraft course in Alaska and it’s A+. Mostly scared the hell out of me with how ignorant and reckless I had been about rafting for a few years without a proper mentor, safety gear, or research. Became a much better paddler and managed risk more thoughtfully after that class. SSI runs classes across the western lower 48. NOLS would be another resource. Get Mehl’s handbook as well.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

Luc mehl