R Value quantifiably impactful...w/out bag upgrade???

180ls1

WKR
I just went with an XTherm at 7.3 and haven’t had to think about it. The weight penalty is marginal compared to the XLite 4.5 which is just 3oz.

If it’s in your budget the new pads NXT pads are even comfier.

You will notice a massive difference in comfort going from a sub 2 pad. I wouldn’t honestly consider anything less then a 4.

This is a great suggestion. Just grab one and be done with it forever. It'll make a huge difference.

texag10

WKR
A Kifaru Woobie over the bag makes a tremendous difference. It also serves as a great way to stay warm when glassing. Keeps feet warm too.
I've done this, woobie over an enlightened equipment quilt. Cuts out any drafts to the quilt and was toasty warm below the rated temp of the quilt despite my tendency to be cold.

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
Most of your warmth is lost through the ground not out the top through the bag. I encourage everyone to play with their system and test their gear. I sleep warm so 50 degree bag is fine for me in 30 degree weather IF I have sufficient ground insulation. If my gournd insulation is poor a 20 degree bag is not warm in 30 degrees but rearrange my ground insulation in the same temperature and now I am almost too hot with the same bag I was just cold in.

When I get a new pad or bag, I set up in the yard once cold weather gets here in Wisconsin. Depending upon where I am going, I will sometime take a Nemo Switchback foam pad to go under my air pad to avoid punctures. Absolute night and day difference how you layer your pad system!
Warmer weather - just a summer pad on the grass (foam if rough ground is expected under air pad).
Cooler weather - higher R value air pad
Cold Weather - foam pad, air pad, e-blanket over the air pad reflecting my heat back to me.
Really cold - air pad on ground, move foam pad on TOP of air pad. This is the warmest setup in my system. The foam does not conduct the cold like the air in a air pad ad the reflective side reflects my heat back up into me. Colder still - put the e-blanket inside the sleeping bag but I personally hate this feeling and noise.

I am a side sleeper and prefer a thicker pad which will inherently cool more. The e blanket on top of the air pad is not as warm as the foam pad on top but more comfortable on my back sleeping on my side.

Air pads, especially ones with exposed sidewalls really just are full of cold air and pull the heat out of your body. I just prefer to rearrange my system to adjust the R value of the system rather than have an arsenal of different sleeping bags and different air pads and so on.