Quilt vs bag

idig4au

WKR
I’ve got a backpack hunt last week of august in the Yukon. I’m trying to decide between my 15 degree kuiu bag, or my 20 degree EE quilt to save some weight, I use a neoair x-lite pad for the most part.

Do you guys see any issues with using a quilt that time of year up there? I’ve hunted in NWT around that time on several occasions and apart from a few skiffs of snow, and some rain, the temps were not too bad. I used bags both of those times. I do like being less confined in the quilt and I’m a side sleeper. I usually use quilt for backcountry deer hunts where the weather is not as variable. I will have a full puffy layer in my pack. Just a bit sheepish to use up north.

Would certainly like to hear other opinions

Cbled

Lil-Rokslider
Also interested to hear opinions, I just bought a 30’ quilt for an August trip right at the BC Yukon border. Hoping that and if needed down puffy layer will be good.

mobilefamily

Lil-Rokslider
I used a 20F quilt on a Brooks Range 8/10-21 hunt with a Big Agnes Q Core air pad. It got below freezing often but I was OK. If there's a big weight difference, I would take the lighter quilt.

Last year I used my EE 30° convert in Alaska for a sheep hunt on a foam pad. I didn’t have any issues. We had more rain than was expected, so it was colder than it usually is, but I was never cold.

ejs21

FNG
I’ve got a backpack hunt last week of august in the Yukon. I’m trying to decide between my 15 degree kuiu bag, or my 20 degree EE quilt to save some weight, I use a neoair x-lite pad for the most part.

Do you guys see any issues with using a quilt that time of year up there? I’ve hunted in NWT around that time on several occasions and apart from a few skiffs of snow, and some rain, the temps were not too bad. I used bags both of those times. I do like being less confined in the quilt and I’m a side sleeper. I usually use quilt for backcountry deer hunts where the weather is not as variable. I will have a full puffy layer in my pack. Just a bit sheepish to use up north.

Would certainly like to hear other opinions
I'm a warm sleeper, I decided to try a quilt and loved it. I bought a Katabatic Flex 30, most say this temp rating is conservative and is plenty warm past 20 degrees. I felt it was perfect for me, and if I ever get cold I will add a layer or put on puffy pants and jacket. I've used it in mid August in the NWT and October in the Rockies.

ljalberta

WKR
I love quilts, but I toss and turn in my sleep. As such, I tend to take a bag if I expect temperatures will be close to freezing or below during the nights.

For late August and early September sheep hunts in Alberta, that means I take a bag.

OP
idig4au

idig4au

WKR
Thanks for the feedback.

My 15 degree bag is right at 2 lbs and my 20 degree EE enigma quilt is 23 oz so there is an opportunity for a 9 oz savings. With puffy layers, I’m probably good to around 10 degrees.

I will get my pack dialed in and make a decision from there, but leaning towards the quilt. It’s so hard to go back to a sleeping bag after using a quilt

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
The last two years I did a caribou hunt in northern BC the last few days of august into the first few days of September. I used a 0 F EE quilt and on the colder nights wore my puffy. For reference - I tend to sleep cold.

pemborsky

FNG
Honestly, with as much moisture as you're likely to experience both in the environment and on your own person, I wouldn't endorse either of those, unless you have a campstove to get things really properly dry. Synthetic is the way to go, for sure. Maybe try a Kifaru Body Bag andor Doobie if the option to have things more open appeals to you, otherwise a Slick Bag would be my #1 recommendation.

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback.

My 15 degree bag is right at 2 lbs and my 20 degree EE enigma quilt is 23 oz so there is an opportunity for a 9 oz savings. With puffy layers, I’m probably good to around 10 degrees.

I will get my pack dialed in and make a decision from there, but leaning towards the quilt. It’s so hard to go back to a sleeping bag after using a quilt

I would think you will be fine with your quilt. Last year I was hunting in the Pelly's (south of Faro and Ross River) in mid-August and was quite comfortable using my WM alpinlite (same temperature rating as your quilt). I didn't find it cold enough to really climb into the bag and just slept underneath it. This year I've been trying out a WM astralite quilt to cut a little weight, and so far it's been warm enough for me (I do sleep warm).