Quilt for comfort not weight savings

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
Quilt was a game changer for me. Could never get comfortable in a mummy bag. Like mentioned above, take your mummy out and sleep with it wide open except the bottom 12”. I find that the straps and draft issue really only becomes noticeable if temps are in the 30s or lower and I’m cowboy camping. In a tent I’m snug as a bug in a rug, but maybe that’s the Tylenol PM

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
I bought my quilt for comfort. Works great for me side sleeping and i toss and turn a lot. Mummy bags would roll with me as i turned and would wake up most mornings with the hood on top of my face. Weight savings is a nice bonus. Now if i could only find a way for my hips to not get sore side sleeping on a pad all night

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
Also, if you get a quilt with a solid strap system and get a wide quilt you shouldnt have to worry too much about drafts. Thats my experience anyway. I run a katabatic.

SwiftShot

WKR
I bought my quilt for comfort. Works great for me side sleeping and i toss and turn a lot. Mummy bags would roll with me as i turned and would wake up most mornings with the hood on top of my face. Weight savings is a nice bonus. Now if i could only find a way for my hips to not get sore side sleeping on a pad all night

What pad are you using?
I switched to a way thicker pad. Big Agnes Insulated Q-Core Deluxe. Plus I found if I let air out to adjust the pads firmness while laying on it, it is better. Once my big butt gets on the pad it really gets to firm.

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
What pad are you using?
I switched to a way thicker pad. Big Agnes Insulated Q-Core Deluxe. Plus I found if I let air out to adjust the pads firmness while laying on it, it is better. Once my big butt gets on the pad it really gets to firm.
I use an exped ultra 5r. I deflate it enough that when i lay on it i'm just above the ground. Its extremely comfortable I just get sore hips towards the morning.

gabenzeke

WKR
I got an extra tall extra wide. I move around a lot when I sleep and tend to get too warm. Bought a ten degree quilt and love it. Kick a leg out if I get too warm. It works pretty slick.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

dtchhuntr

FNG
I'm a stomach sleeper and sleep hot. I love my quilt. The pad straps will cinch down tight if needed and I can zip a toe box still if I want. But I can easily get more air and alter temp with the quilt versus a bag. Enlightened Equipment is running 20% off right now. I have a 0 degree revelation from them and just ordered a 20 degree.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
Yeah I saw the EE sale, really considering getting one
What size and temp rating for Sept archery elk at say 8 to 9 thousand feet? 20 or 10 degree? I’m thinking I could get away with a long/wide (I’m only 5’9 but wondering if the extra length would be beneficial). Hoping the wide would be wide enough, I use a 25x75 Big Agnes Rapide pad.
And Revelation or Enigma??

I’m thinking I could get away with a long/wide (I’m only 5’9 but wondering if the extra length would be beneficial).
I’m 5’7” and have plenty of room to duck my head inside if I wanted to (Katabatic 20). I can see where “more is better without much weight penalty” is attractive. But, all that unfilled space at the bottom would make my feet freeze!

dtchhuntr

FNG
Yeah I saw the EE sale, really considering getting one
What size and temp rating for Sept archery elk at say 8 to 9 thousand feet? 20 or 10 degree? I’m thinking I could get away with a long/wide (I’m only 5’9 but wondering if the extra length would be beneficial). Hoping the wide would be wide enough, I use a 25x75 Big Agnes Rapide pad.
And Revelation or Enigma??

I got the long wide on my 0 degree and I'm 5 10. Honestly didn't need the long probably so I ordered the regular but still wide on the 20 degree yesterday. I have the Big Agnes Q core deluxe sleeping pad.

The Enigma has a sewn in footbox, so less drafts, but less adjustability for you if you want it. The revelation has a zipper option at bottom if you want to seal out drafts and have the footbox but can also have it open.
The temp option is going to come down to you and how you do with cold, and how you plan on sleeping (how many layers of clothes you prefer). My 0 degree was way too hot last year in mid September and the nights were down to around 27-30. I was down to my skivvies sweating buckets. Meanwhile my partner in his 30 degree sleeping bag was layering up his clothes and borrowed my Klamath hoody. But he is always cold whenever we hunt together, so again "know thyself."

I also have a Z Packs Goose hood at 1.3 ozs if I'm concerned about it being particularly chilly and I like it because it isn't attached to the quilt/doesn't get in my face rolling around if needed.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
I would say I sleep average to maybe a little warm… like in the summer I need the air on to sleep comfortably and in the winter i will turn the heat down to 62 or 63 at night in the house and sleep fine in shorts with just a sheet and a thin fleece blanket and a basic quilted comforter.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
I’m debating between a 10 and 20 degree Enigma. I think I like the sewn foot box

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
I've been in a quilt for 10 years now. There isn't a bag that actually fits me on the market. I would watch this video and hear how this guy uses a quilt for hunting in -10 in Wet BC Winter Hunts

rcb2000

WKR
I’d steer away from the synthetic options from Enlightenment Equipment.
The cost is attractive, but the materials have pretty bad condensation issues. In the same seek teepee every morning my quilt was soaking on the surface,, my brother and dads Zenbivy’s were bone dry.