Quietest Deer Caliber, Rifle, Suppressor Combo

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
I saw a bunch of people saying you can thread your "sporter" barrel. There are a couple things to keep in mind that I learned "the hard way". Aka I was about to screw it up but I talked to a really good gunsmith. There are two predominate thread pitches for muzzles I'm just going to call them 1/2" and 5/8" to save myself time. A lot of people, myself included, took a pair of calipers to the end the muzzle and realized I didn't have enough material there for a 5/8" thread diameter. So, I kept measuring down the barrel and 3-5" down the barrel I had enough diameter to thread it. That's where the gun Smith stopped me. Just because you have enough to thread the barrel doesn't mean you have enough to create a shoulder behind the threads. That's a significantly larger diameter. To hit the shoulder diameter I'd have to cut the barrel down to like 8" which is hilarious for a .30-06. Keep in mind that you can do a 1/2" diameter and get more barrel because the shoulder diameter decreases also but it is controversial.....

Anyway, the actual reason I was going to post is to recommend custom ear plugs. I have a similar sensitivy to loud noises and custom was a huge game changer even if they were the dinky decibels branded ones.

I vote stick for something 6.5mm and a 6.5 can. Just my observations but a 6.5 creed suppresses way better than a .308 assuming supersonic for both. I'd never hunt with subsonic unless I'm less than 50 yards. Just my opinion. Also, consider the terrain you re hunting. The first time I tested my can was into a mountain side 50 yards away. My ears hated me because there was so much echo that felt like it lasted forever.

Veloci_Wrench

Lil-Rokslider
I still hunt in thick woods, with a 16” .308, a homemade suppressor (Form 1), and (though not exclusively) Discreet Ballistics subsonic Selous .308 ammo. It’s stupid quiet. The selous rounds are solid copper with a machined hinge to open up down to 700 fps. They open to about the size of a half-dollar. The faster twist the barrel, the better, as the more rpm’s, the more potential for tissue damage.

I actually prefer hunting with supersonic ammo, as I’m more confident with it.

You should really be using heavy .30 cal projectile or larger for subsonic, as you are relying on energy more than just the sheer wounding characteristics of good supersonic ammo.

Last edited:
There was once a guy on YouTube loading 458 socom with 700 grain Lehigh fractrint solids and shooting it supressed.

I’d bet that’s getting close

Unckebob

WKR
What do you guys think about a 7mm-08?

Great ballistics (probably the sweet spot b/w 6.5 CM & 308), but I bought a 6.5CM because of ammo availability. It turned out to be a great choice b/c I live I have seen exactly 1 factory load available on local shelves since the big ammo crunch. It was gone real fast never to return. I now reload for my rifle, but I take comfort in the fact I can go to my LGS or Cabelas and pick from a number of factory loads.

Basically, plan on reloading 100% of the time and searching for good brass.

Honestly a good old .308 gets it done quietly on a boringly regular basis and it’s one of the full size cartridges that is worth shooting subsonic if you so desire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Teodoro

FNG
The only gun I've ever been complimented by a stranger on the quietness of is my 6.5 Grendel. That's shooting unsuppressed and just in comparison to what other unsuppressed rifles at the range were doing. If you decide you're going to use supersonic ammunition with a suppressor, I think it might be worth looking at. At least some of the Howas come threaded.

This part is just wondering aloud: I know the suppressor itself will add several inches of length, but I'm curious how much keeping or buying a longer barrel would help. The difference between 22 long rifle in a 6-in pistol barrel and a 16-in rifle barrel is very striking. Is the difference between a 16-in barrel plus suppressor and a 24 inch barrel plus suppressor as intense?

Veloci_Wrench

Lil-Rokslider
The only gun I've ever been complimented by a stranger on the quietness of is my 6.5 Grendel. That's shooting unsuppressed and just in comparison to what other unsuppressed rifles at the range were doing. If you decide you're going to use supersonic ammunition with a suppressor, I think it might be worth looking at. At least some of the Howas come threaded.

This part is just wondering aloud: I know the suppressor itself will add several inches of length, but I'm curious how much keeping or buying a longer barrel would help. The difference between 22 long rifle in a 6-in pistol barrel and a 16-in rifle barrel is very striking. Is the difference between a 16-in barrel plus suppressor and a 24 inch barrel plus suppressor as intense?
Adding a suppressor to anything will quiet the bark far better than just a longer barrel. A suppressor disrupts the gas exiting the barrel and traps it so that it cools within the suppressor some before exiting. "Noise" in a gunshot is the gas form the propellant hitting oxygen, and the immediate change in temperature creates the noise. There is also pressure differential going on, which is what the "concussion effect" is. A longer barrel is quieter than a shorter barrel, but it's no comparison to a suppressor. The guy who invented firearm suppressors (Hiram Maxim), also invented the automobile muffler. Same design principles.

SwiftShot

WKR

Barrel length does not even come close to what a suppressor does. A good one will change a rifle completely. You will still hear the crack of the bullet breaking the sound barrier but it makes it quite.

OP
Y
Thanks everyone for the replies, now which rifle? I'm going with a 6.5 Creedmoor because its big enough for deer, doesn't seem any or much louder than similar deer calibers, is widely available, and its seems most rifles are accurate in it.

For the rifle I'm deciding between the Tikka T3x Compact Tactical Stainless 20' and the Browning X-Bolt Speed 18', because both are threaded and foam filled. I am leaning towards the Tikka because its heavier and I mostly rifle hunt out of box stands with a fairly short walk. What are y'all's thoughts? Also, would you recommend the adjustable cheek piece on the stock? I'm leaning toward not getting it because I saw somewhere that it was hollow, where the normal stock is foam filled.

RussDXT

WKR
I think browning a sometimes use a non standard thread pattern. For whitetail hunting and stock adjustability as well as having the option to fold it up and put it in a pack I’d take a hard look at the sig cross. I’ve hunted with one the last few seasons when I go back east and it’s a joy to use in the thick timber and stands.

Boltgun

FNG
Is there a relationship between velocity and decibels? Disregarding subsonics, it has always seemed that faster calibers (223, 243, 22-250) have a lot more crack than slower ones (6.5 CM, 6.5 Grendel).

OP sounds like you have some good options, but I’d order the suppressor before the new rifle. It’ll take a lot longer for the suppressor to arrive.

On the off chance you’re still considering calibers, I have a 6.5 Grendel boltgun that is very quiet suppressed, and extremely effective on deer and antelope with SST out to 284 yards so far (in practice) and should be good to 400 yards (1800fps threshold).

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks everyone for the replies, now which rifle? I'm going with a 6.5 Creedmoor because its big enough for deer, doesn't seem any or much louder than similar deer calibers, is widely available, and its seems most rifles are accurate in it.

For the rifle I'm deciding between the Tikka T3x Compact Tactical Stainless 20' and the Browning X-Bolt Speed 18', because both are threaded and foam filled. I am leaning towards the Tikka because its heavier and I mostly rifle hunt out of box stands with a fairly short walk. What are y'all's thoughts? Also, would you recommend the adjustable cheek piece on the stock? I'm leaning toward not getting it because I saw somewhere that it was hollow, where the normal stock is foam filled.
You should check out this thread. Warning - it is a deep rabbit hole.

Thread '.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.'
https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/223-for-bear-deer-elk-and-moose.130488/