Quick Tips Archery Elk

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
Think of elk as packs of bloodhounds! More than once I have watched elk cross my path from where I walked hours prior and bolt without a second thought. No head up ears alert, no looking around, no curiosity, just instantly bolt!

JPD350

WKR
Good decisions come from being calm and collected, plenty of time to get excited later. Also if you have done your shooting practice you really should be on autopilot, bad anchor and trigger punching come from being over excited and often the result is bad shots, stay focussed and be a killer.

Make sure you’re in shape for the terrain you plan on hunting in. I’ve hunted with friends who couldn’t trek mountains in elevations of San Juan or gunnison pass. They told me they were in shape but clearly they didn’t put in the work. Train harder than you plan to hunt.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
1. After the shot mark your spot and the bulls spot with flagging tape.
Yep, great advice, especially this one. If you have to go back to where you shot from later, everything seems different and sometimes it's hard to find the exact spot. This also gives you a starting line for finding your arrow after a passthrough.

Tasilver

FNG
Make sure you’re in shape for the terrain you plan on hunting in. I’ve hunted with friends who couldn’t trek mountains in elevations of San Juan or gunnison pass. They told me they were in shape but clearly they didn’t put in the work. Train harder than you plan to hunt.
Anyone have any last minute tips? Archery elk is coming soon!

Here's 1 that has plagued me more than once. And I believe it's happened in the time it takes my brain to process what's suddenly playing out.

Be ready to take quick shots. Oft times the encounters seemingly happen out of nowhere. Just because you have an arrow nocked, doesn't mean you are ready at times. Be ready to read what's happening and be able to act on it. Without rushing the shot.

Anyone else have anything?
Hunt thick north faces. It’s rarely cool enough for elk.

If you hear a bugle and know where it's at close in quick and fast and silent to as close as you think you can. Then hit em with those demanding mews. Or what the industry calls an "estrus".

Pack and eat plenty of food. I see a lot of guys only packing 2500 cals a day. You don't want to be in a deficit on a hunt. Better off to gain a little weight than lose it. Focus on carbs, have some gummy bears or jell candies handy.

Probably the most important thing if you're packing in is your camp location.
Never camp near, water, elk beds and sanctuary areas, in feed areas and or transition areas!!!! Just don't even think about it!!!!

Nothing worse than purposely not hunting a sanctuary and saving it for a last ditch Hail Mary then find some non resident spiked out in that area!!! Or think you're a social media instafluancer and camp on water and a transition area. Or be the fat Midwesties who camp on water right next to a major wallow and transition area!

Last year was a bad year for stupid. You might have to pack water and hike a little further. But for the enjoyment of yourself and the other hunters be considerate.

Tasilver

FNG
Hunt thick north faces. It’s rarely cool enough for elk.
Practice the 2 second shot, draw and release within 2-3 seconds, sometimes that’s all you’ll get.
Anyone have any last minute tips? Archery elk is coming soon!

Here's 1 that has plagued me more than once. And I believe it's happened in the time it takes my brain to process what's suddenly playing out.

Be ready to take quick shots. Oft times the encounters seemingly happen out of nowhere. Just because you have an arrow nocked, doesn't mean you are ready at times. Be ready to read what's happening and be able to act on it. Without rushing the shot.

Anyone else have anything?
Don’t “be ready”, practice drawing and shooting in 2 seconds. At first your groups go to hell, but you eventually dial in to releasing at the first good look. It builds confidence in the rush.

Grab your peep, pull as hard as you can up and down. If it moves at all, retie it. Cost myself 2 opportunities in 2022 because my peep was sliding around and I didn't notice until weeks after i got home.

If you hear a bugle and know where it's at close in quick and fast and silent to as close as you think you can. Then hit em with those demanding mews. Or what the industry calls an "estrus".

Pack and eat plenty of food. I see a lot of guys only packing 2500 cals a day. You don't want to be in a deficit on a hunt. Better off to gain a little weight than lose it. Focus on carbs, have some gummy bears or jell candies handy.
Any thoughts on how to pinpoint bugles?

bucksnbirds

Lil-Rokslider
1. If you've been calling and sit down to eat lunch or take a break, you're still hunting. Arrow locked and release on.

2. Put yourself in front of cover, not behind or inside of it.

3. If you're calling solo, move up 20yds and down wind 10-15yds.

4. You'll find a use for paracord if you fill a tag or not.

5. Think of calling elk just like calling your kids in your own house while they are in their rooms. They are both only going as far as they need to. If you're down the hallway and they can just poke their head out of their room and see what you need, that's it. But if you're working on the hot water heater in the closet, they have to do more work and get much closer to find you.

wytx

WKR
Lots of elk get taken mid day while most hunters are in camp resting.

When you setup take some ranges on the trees and brush around you so you know the distances and don't have to range while the bull is coming in.

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
Grab your peep, pull as hard as you can up and down. If it moves at all, retie it. Cost myself 2 opportunities in 2022 because my peep was sliding around and I didn't notice until weeks after i got home.
careful doing that though, if it moves while the string is under tension you might end up wrecking your string. Ask me how I know...