Questions about fairbanks

mnydir

FNG
Doing a guided moose hunt next year. Seems like renting a u haul van is about half the price of a truck rental. What would be a good option to get myself and gear to the u haul. Obviously I don't want to just take a taxi and Leave everything in the airport. Also when I stayed on kodiak the hotel let me store meat in there freezer, is there any hotels in fairbanks that would allow me some freezer space?

Murphy

Lil-Rokslider
La quinta near the airport had plenty of space for my caribou this fall and were extremely helpful. A full moose may be pushing the capacity of their freezer space but is definitely a possibility. Next time I'm in fairbanks I will stay there again. Not sure where you need to get to from fairbanks but I rented a car for less than 400$ at the airport for just shy of 2 weeks which i thought was very cheap. Wouldn't work if you are traveling off paved roads though.

mooster

WKR
be aware that uhauls trucks may be in short supply due to haul road demand coinciding with moose season. we ended up w/a van to portage our meat. just plan to have something to clean the blood to avoid extra charges. we dropped by store and grabbed paper towels and cleaner.

we found one taxi that was an extended pick up, but she was busy when we needed her. found another large SUV taxi that was able to accommodate us back to airport w/all our gear.

OP
M

mnydir

FNG
Most truck rentals seem to be at least $800 for twelve days. An SUV taxi would work well. Going south out of fairbanks so it'll be all paved. Hoping to bring home around 300 lbs of meat in rubbermaid totes. Still debating between checking meat/ capes or going the expeditor route.

mooster

WKR
Most truck rentals seem to be at least $800 for twelve days. An SUV taxi would work well. Going south out of fairbanks so it'll be all paved. Hoping to bring home around 300 lbs of meat in rubbermaid totes. Still debating between checking meat/ capes or going the expeditor route.
you can also use a service like AK Trophy Express https://www.alaskatrophyexpress.com/ that runs freezer trucks from ANC & FAI to lower 48. We shipped our euro head, meat, and some sheds back. It took a few weeks but was hassle free.

Last edited: