Question for the South Paws

JG358

WKR
How important is having a left hand bolt? I'm torn between building my daughter a 260Rem on a right handed Sako AII action I have sitting in the safe or ordering up a south paw Cooper in the same cal. I'm leaning towards the Cooper just because as a righty, I don't like shooting left hand rifles. What say you?

ckleeves

WKR
It isn't a big deal to me at all. I never seek out LH rifles just because the resale can be tough and I grew up on a RH bolt. When I bought my first LH rifle it felt kinda awkward loading a magazine using my left hand. The only real advantage is not having the bolt dig into your back while having the rifle slung. Speed wise from a rest a lefty on a RH bolt is mighty fast!

bbc26

Lil-Rokslider
If you haven't done it already I'd find out which eye is her dominate eye. I'm left handed but am more comfortable looking down a scope with my right eye. Odd thing is I can't shoot a pistol right handed worth a damn. Might save you some money and time, and save her some frustration while shooting.

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
My wife is a lefty and I would say it is very important. She absolutely loves the rifle I had built for her. I let her try a kimber mt in 7-08 and she had no interest. I bought a youth rem 700 in 7-08 which shot awesome right out of the box. I had it restocked because I hated the cheap remington stock. It has a lone wolf light weight stock and she loves her rifle. Every time she has taken an animal she proclaims how much she likes her little rifle. I did not need to re-barrel because the factory barrel shoots so well. I had it cera-koted and the trigger done. Otherwise, it is a factory action and barrel. Shoots under an inch all day.

Rizzy

WKR
I have never owned or shot a left handed gun, so I don't know for sure if it's any easier. I imagine a left handed gun would be awkward because I'm used to shooting a right handed gun. I have never felt handicapped, but I always feel very motivated to make the first shot count :)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
At this point it would be difficult for me to switch to a LH bolt rifle, would have to relearn it all.......and I'd still be trying to throw the bolt from the right side which would waste more time. About 90% of all my rifle big game animals have been free hand, with multiple shots on several of those. It's never been an issue because that's all I've ever known. I would say that the only consideration I'd look at.........is resale value and ability to find a buyer if need be. Lefties can be harder to sell. Beyond that, I'd go righty.

OP
JG358

JG358

WKR
At this point it would be difficult for me to switch to a LH bolt rifle, would have to relearn it all.......and I'd still be trying to throw the bolt from the right side which would waste more time. About 90% of all my rifle big game animals have been free hand, with multiple shots on several of those. It's never been an issue because that's all I've ever known. I would say that the only consideration I'd look at.........is resale value and ability to find a buyer if need be. Lefties can be harder to sell. Beyond that, I'd go righty.

But when you were a kid, lefties shot righties because thats what was available. If you were a kid again and had it to do all over again would you still get a right handed rifle with the current availability of lefties on the market? She doesnt run the bolt when she shoots now so she wouldnt have to relearn anything either way.

Extremely important. I have shot dozens of rifles with bolts on both sides as a lefty. Having and getting comfortable with a left handed bolt is smoother, faster, safer, more intuitive. Do right by her and get her started correctly. Others who have commented here have adapted but you have the advantage of starting correctly. There are many great left handed rifles out there now. Tikka, Forbes, Browning, Cooper, Remington, Savage, Montana etc etc

ScottP

WKR
My brother and I are both lefties... and my dad got us both left-handed bolts as kids. So that is how I learned to shoot. I did 'try out' some righty bolts before hand and the lefty versions felt a lot more natural. If you are starting out from scratch with a left-handed left eye dominant person, I'd get the right tool for the job so to speak. I've never been worried about resale as I don't intend on selling any of mine... I now own 3 lefty bolts.

I've gone to great lengths to buy or build rifles left handed. And I am only Left Eye dominant, but naturally right handed. This question comes up often and 90% of what you'll hear is how everyone just shoots the right bolt......

I will side with the few that urge your to buy dedicated Lefty. If you are considering a Cooper, you're not dirt poor. Sounds like you have the cash to buy one and search for the correct one.

I am usually up on all things Left Handed Rifles. Short action Lefties by anyone are usually harder to come by, thought Remington has made more LH in the last few years. Usually a SPS in Varmint or Compact.

Go Lefty

I've been to the Cooper Rifle site. Is it just me and my computer or is the site quite lacking? Not much description is pricing or availability. I'd like to know what the LH synthetics go for Street Price and the turn around time.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I've been to the Cooper Rifle site. Is it just me and my computer or is the site quite lacking? Not much description is pricing or availability. I'd like to know what the LH synthetics go for Street Price and the turn around time.

They are working on a new site now.

OP
JG358

JG358

WKR

Their site is coming along. They are really good about responding to emails if you have questions.

gulicemo

Banned
Lefty here. I have shot right handed guns my whole life. Bought my first LH gun, Tikka t3, this year. First time I shot it, I tried to load it like a right handed rifle. Since then, it's been nothing but nice in hunting situations. Don't have to take your hand off the fore-grip to cycle which means you can stay on target better. That worked out well for me on 2 out of 3 animals I shot this year. I have since bought a LH Benelli M2 and love shooting a gun that's made for me. I will only buy LH guns from here on out. My dad is also LH and he refuses to buy LH guns but he doesn't big game hunt, just shotgunning and bench rest shooting. IMO, worth the extra money and hassle.

Like many above, I grew up on a RH although I am LH and left eye dominate. Like many things, once you grow comfortable, she will never know the difference. Having said that, i had a LH rifle built and love it. It did take time re-teaching myself to work the bolt left handed (quickly)

OP
JG358

JG358

WKR
Just buy the Cooper. She will like it, and it will be easier for her to help you fill your freezer.

Probably what will happen. She said she wants a black stock with pink spiderweb. :)

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
But when you were a kid, lefties shot righties because thats what was available. If you were a kid again and had it to do all over again would you still get a right handed rifle with the current availability of lefties on the market? She doesnt run the bolt when she shoots now so she wouldnt have to relearn anything either way.

That's what I think too
Both the Coopers I've been around shoot better than I can.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Don't have to take your hand off the fore-grip to cycle which means you can stay on target better.

I've never taken my hand off the fore-grip.......always cycled the bolt with my left hand. It's pretty darn quick when you're used to it, but Jake......I'd go with the LH gun if starting from scratch. Probably won't ever want to sell it anyway.