Question for EMR 2 Users

fuzznuts

FNG
Hi all, had a question for the EMR 2 users; when using the pack in day mode are the tube pockets fairly easy to use or a hassle with the straps going over them? Thinking of getting one as it seems like it would be versatile, just wondering about ease of use when compressed. Thanks, Fuzz

Feel the same way as bcimport. Actually avoided them in day mode because of the hassle. Put everything I needed in the bungee pockets, med belt pouches, and guide lid.

I've moved into the AMR and like it much better so far. Day mode leaves the back pockets exposed for quick access.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I routinely put stuff in the tube pockets and don't find it that big of a deal to un clip the straps and pull stuff out. Often I can get things out without unclipping, but either way it only takes a few seconds. I did find the G hooks had a tendency to come loose on me when the pack wasn't full, so I put tape on them to solve that problem ;)

weaver

WKR
Anything I need fast access to I put in the lid. Extra clothes I'll put in the tubes and I can easily pull those out without unbuckling any straps.

goatboy

Lil-Rokslider
I like the tube pockets but hate that they flop around and the fact that you have to go over them to secure them. Yes its only a few seconds to undo everything but it's definitely an annoyance.

Sew the side pockets the way they are to the main bag, put the compression straps over the zipper and move the bungee cord pockets under the tube pockets where I can reach them with the pack on.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I run a large waistbelt pocket on one side and a small on the other. Complete with a guide lid and putting my spotter and tripod in the sleeve pockets I really don't have to get into anything else unless I want to stop and bust out the stove for a "spot of tea" in the middle of the day. If thats the case then speed of unsnapping the buckles and such isn't much of an issue.

Seems to work well for me. Between the Lid, waistbelt pockets, and sleeve pockets its pretty well organized for quick access to anything I might need in a hurry. That said if you have to dig something out of the main part of your pack I find the EMR 2 much faster than the DT1 ceratinly with the big center zip it makes that super easy and not digging down looking for anything...

Not the perfect pack, but it does work. Of course the new Talus from Stone Glacier is pretty schwanky looking as well.

MtnManZ

Lil-Rokslider
What do you plan on accessing when the pack is in day mode? Spotter? Jacket? Food?

I don't normally plan on accessing the tube pockets (in day pack mode) for items I know that I'll want easy access to. Like others have said, the lid is best for that.

Another option for easy access is the bottom of the main compartment. I usually stuff clothing or a small dry bag full of items in the main compartment. It's a simple unzip from the bottom and I can reach in and get what I need, without undoing any buckles.

I put most of my stuff in the main bag. It's easy and fast to unbuckle and zip open to access things. I don't put much in the wings unless the main part is filled up.

kodiakfly

WKR
As others have said, when it's cinched down, they can be hard to access. But like also said, I don't put anything in them I think I'll need. I kinda went a different route with mine. I added a cargo panel to the back of mine to fully enclose my bow and then hang pockets on the outside of that. Now I've got super quick access to everything in day mode, protection for the bow and then the pack can still explode for loads. I added some weight with the CP, but I'm considering removing the wings since I barely use them anymore. More experimenting this summer...

OP
fuzznuts

fuzznuts

FNG
Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and opinions. Might need to get me one before spring. -Fuzz