Question about rain

Catfish65

FNG
So if you had a day off. Would you hunt the day it rains? Day after with scattered showers or day after that, clear but winds in high teens? And by no means is this a cold storm either as its taking place in SoCal.haha
Just curious. I personally never had any luck during the rain but thats probably my inexperience. Thanks

I would be out in it, glassing if the terrain permits. If I can't glass I'd still hunt while the rain helped to mask my noise/scent.

mcseal2

WKR
No expert on muleys so take my advice with that in mind. My instinct though is if rain made the terrain in a place that hunters avoided quiet, I'd darn sure be in there hunting. I would be thinking of where I could be that deer would congregate with hunting pressure that I could now slip around in silently. Hunting whitetail one rainy day my buddy and I both killed good bucks in a short time on a day we considered staying home. My strategy might only be effective for getting soaked, but I figure I will never find the deer I'm looking for while not hunting. To me it would be about trying to create my own luck. I might think a bit different early in a hunt on private land where pressure would be limited and hunt one location on stand, but on public I'm thinking of where I couldn't effectively hunt otherwise.

Muleys32

Lil-Rokslider
If it makes it inaccessible like some places in the badlands it can work great to still hunt the smaller rolling hills in the thick stuff during the rain. On opening weekend here in ND it was raining pretty good and I evacuated my normal spot to still hunt the thick brush and saw 4 awesome mature bucks in the trees.

OP
Catfish65

Catfish65

FNG
Thanks for all the info guys. Appreciate it. Most guys here barely get out of their vehicle more less walk in rain. Well work pretty much ruled out day of storm, so day after which is calling for scattered showers it is.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
if you know your area well and where the big bucks disappear to when the pressure's on, not much better than hunting in the rain. Some of my best bucks have been in the rain and blizzards.

If you don't know you're area, then hunting in rain and blizzards just a good way to get lost and since visibility is usually bad, you don't often see many deer.

If it's a multi-day hunt, gotta have a way to get dry at the end of the day though, or you'll sleep in the next day. The thought of putting on wet boots and heavy clothes will keep most guys (including me) in their sleeping bag.

OP
Catfish65

Catfish65

FNG
well i will have to find out during the next rain if that ever happens again this year. Damn work got in the way and couldn't get any days off. thanks agin y'all

Blacktail hunting in Washington was best during a hard rain. Hunting high country mule deer I hate when it rains though because it usually limits visabilty. Here in ND hunting mule deer if it rains I haven't noticed a difference really.

Regards, Branden