Question about movements and scouting (FNG)

First, thanks for any help, I'm a FNG trying to figure things out. For context, I'm in San Diego so dealing with Southern Mule Deer. I found what could be a potential area to hunt and want to start scouting the area. Knowing that they are not migratory animals but that their movements now (July) could be different by the time the season starts (late october), when is a good time to start scouting? Would it still be beneficial now even if their movements are different come fall?
Thanks

Badseed

WKR
Assuming that your deer population aren’t migratory, I would argue that July is one of the better months to start scouting with boots on the ground. I hunt and live further up the state but right now our deer are in velvet and easier to catch out in the open. Once the deer get hard horned, usually in the next two months, the deer seem to burry themselves in the thickest nastiest brushy places you can imagine.

Do you plan to hunt with a rifle or a bow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
LightWeightN8
Assuming that your deer population aren’t migratory, I would argue that July is one of the better months to start scouting with boots on the ground. I hunt and live further up the state but right now our deer are in velvet and easier to catch out in the open. Once the deer get hard horned, usually in the next two months, the deer seem to burry themselves in the thickest nastiest brushy places you can imagine.

Do you plan to hunt with a rifle or a bow?

Thanks for the insight, I had no idea. I'll be hunting with a rifle.

Badseed

WKR
Thanks for the insight, I had no idea. I'll be hunting with a rifle.

Weather will be the biggest variable in your scouting efforts. Like I said, bucks are more likely to be spotted in the open when they are in velvet but as the season progresses the bucks will get hard horned and hopefully the weather starts to change which will affect the deer patterns. Since it sounds like this is your first rodeo just get boots on the ground and glass as much area as you can to locate the bucks. Don’t settle on just one location. Try to find multiple locations or groups of bucks to monitor. Game cameras can be helpful for this depending on how much time you have to get out. Research deer habits and habitat’s to help understand what is a “good” area for locating the bucks. Good luck!

What the guys above said is right on.

Here's a really good thread of responses for someone similarly new to mule deer, including some links to some other threads:

OP
LightWeightN8
What the guys above said is right on.

Here's a really good thread of responses for someone similarly new to mule deer, including some links to some other threads:

this is great thank you so much