Question about Kifaru LPP size

dgkula

FNG
Hi Everyone,

I'm 5'10" 180lb and interested in the full zip LPP in multicam. I want this for wearing late season in the duck blind. I would like to layer it over a base layer, fleece mid layer, and vest. Would you go with Medium or Large?

I have a 10 year old primaloft belay jacket weighing in at 2 lbs. It is perfect but bright red so not great for the blind. I used to wear that jacket as a "belay jacket" when winter hiking. We'd stop hiking to eat and it would go over all the other clothing we were wearing so we didnt freeze to death on Mt Washington while eating soup.

I deally would like to put the LPP on over whatever else I'm wearing when we get to the blind and get set up. Appreciate the advice on sizing. Thx!

OP
D

dgkula

FNG
I’m about 10lbs heavier than you and I’m happy with a large.
Do you mind me asking how big it is on you? What do you typically wear under it?

I've seen people our size on this forum return a large for a medium as they thought the large was too big. Maybe it depends on number of layers underneath?

fishslap

WKR
Do you mind me asking how big it is on you? What do you typically wear under it?

I've seen people our size on this forum return a large for a medium as they thought the large was too big. Maybe it depends on number of layers underneath?
It’s loose enough that I can stack a base layer, two weights of mid layer, and a fleece and not feel restricted. If it were an around the town jacket a medium would work but then it would probably not leave much room for free movement with several layers. The large is roomy but does not feel like I’m swimming in it. It is bigger than other large jackets I own but I wear a lot of layers and it can result in reduced warmth or mobility with a tighter fit. Tough call for you since you’re a little slimmer than me. Just snapped these pics with a t shirt, flannel, and Columbia fleece.
7BA90A98-2045-4A18-8122-4855C882B01D.jpeg
B50EB894-67F6-47A2-A08D-3C968C123450.jpeg

OP
D

dgkula

FNG
Thank you very much - that is super helpful. I really appreciate you doing this. I think large is definitely the way to go as I will be layering up like you are in the pics.

OP
D

dgkula

FNG
Just received the large - very likely needs to go back for an XL! It may be big enough for layers but too tight across the back shoulders to mount and swing a shotgun. It would be large enough to wear as a jacket over a fleece/sweater but probably not large enough as an "over layer" over fleece/sweater & wading jacket in the duck blind.

OP
D

dgkula

FNG
I have tried this on with a few different layers and am befuddled by the cut and sizing.

I am 5'10" , 41" chest, 15.5" neck, 33" sleeve and 180lb (actually a few pounds lighter today at 177). Very standard Medium sizing in most things depending on cut/fit/layering.

Wearing a t-shirt and patagonia midweight R2 fleece, I can easily zip the Large LPP but cannot comfortably extend both my arms straight out in front of me (looking like a zombie). Nor can I generally bend my arms and move them. There is too much tension across my shoulders and upper back. I'd be concerned about tearing the jacket in the medium term.

Mobility seems restricted by this jacket with very little clothing underneath. This is clearly a high quality garment but the fit/cut is just bizarre IMHO.

Did I get a poorly cut jacket or is this fit to be expected?

Im 5’10 and 165lbs and use a large and it fits nice i think defintaly on the looser side for me but not crazy loose so id think a large would be your best bet or xl

OP
D

dgkula

FNG
Im 5’10 and 165lbs and use a large and it fits nice i think defintaly on the looser side for me but not crazy loose so id think a large would be your best bet or xl

Interesting - I have the Large - maybe mine is cut funny as it is so tight across the shoulders if I move my arms above my waist.

Interesting - I have the Large - maybe mine is cut funny as it is so tight across the shoulders if I move my arms above my waist.
To clarify i meant just a hair on the loose side and fits perfect if i have a couple layers and a sweatshirt under it. But i have more of a skinny build so that could be part of it to

stvnshnn

Lil-Rokslider
I was just looking at replacing my large LPP and noticed on the website it now says they are “athletic” cut and should size up if in-between sizes. My large is not remotely athletic cut. I can usually pull off an XL T-shirt and I am swimming in my large LPP. Is it possible they changed the cut in the shoulders where it’s tight on you?
5’10” 190-195ish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

dgkula

FNG
Yeah if you have 15 lbs on me I don't see how a large would work unless you don't want to use your arms.

Not sure if the reference helps, but I’m 6’ even and generally 160# and have a small, it gets snug with much layering, but for my use, it fits perfectly

I don’t like baggy clothes of any kind, and I knew I wouldn’t be heavily layering under it, but I found their size chart useful, if I hadn’t looked, I would have got a medium wishing it was small. Arms are pretty good, but that’s my only compromise with a small, an inch longer would be perfect…. Still would order a small if starting over. Arms are the first thing to get tight when layering